If you’re looking to sport a beautiful bronzed body all year long then you’ve undoubtedly considered a trip to the tanning salon. But is it safe? We’ve compiled the information you need to make an informed decision about whether or not you should use a tanning bed along with a few tanning bed tips for beginners to help you achieve that coveted glow, safely.
Table of Contents
- How to Use Tanning Bed Safely
- How Often Should a Beginner Use a Tanning Bed?
- How Do I Prepare for My First Tanning Bed?
- How Do You Get a Good Tan in a Tanning Bed?
- What Do You Wear to a Tanning Bed?
- How to Lay in a Tanning Bed
- Can You See Results After One Tanning Bed Session?
- Tanning Bed Tips For Beginners: It Takes Time!
How to Use Tanning Bed Safely
Despite the many myths surrounding the benefits of tanning indoors, the truth is that using tanning beds on a regular basis does come with quite a few risks. One study has found that 97% of women who have developed melanoma in their lifetime have been exposed to tanning beds! And because of the many tanning risks like these and others, it is imperative that you know how to use a tanning bed properly in order to save your skin and health.
Consider the following tips for the next time you plan a visit to a tanning booth:
- Never Rush It: The tanning process can take several weeks depending on your skin type and the depth of tan you desire. But don’t let that cause you to rush the process or take longer in the booth than you need to. Doing so will only hurt you in the end, as overexposure to UV rays could have detrimental and life-threatening effects on your skin and health.
- Don’t Let Your Eyes Deceive You: Though you may not look tan right away, the truth is that the people around you will probably notice your tan before you do. That’s because, sometimes, your eyes aren’t able to pick up on the slight glow you’ve achieved after your first or second session. Try not to be discouraged.
- Follow Proper Protocol: Always listen to attendants at any tanning bed salon you visit. If you have an at-home tanning device, follow the manual. Also see “How do I prepare for my first tanning bed?” below for proper protocol on how best to prepare for your first tanning bed visit!
- Protect Your Eyes: It may sound weird, but wearing tanning goggles in the tanning bed is a must. These will protect your eyes from the harsh UV rays emitted whilst in the tanning bed. If you don’t have any, you can check out these tanning bed goggles or check with your local tanning salon to see if they have any to lend you.
- Check Your Meds: Some medications don’t fare well with tanning booths. Speak to your doctor about any cross-reactions that your current prescription might have with tanning experience.
- Nix the Sunscreen: While it may seem like a good idea to use sunscreen to save your skin from harsh rays in the tanning bed, the truth is that it will work only to block your tan which will subsequently increase the frequency of your tanning visits. (RELATED: Does Sunscreen Prevent Tanning)
- Don’t Overdo Maintenance: Once you receive your base tan, you can maintain it by going to the tanning salon only once or twice a week.
- Check the Weather: Remember, it is usually safer to tan naturally outdoors than to use a tanning bed. Check your options for natural tanning before jumping into the booth.
How Often Should a Beginner Use a Tanning Bed?
To be honest, less exposure is always best when it comes to tanning beds due to the copious dangers associated with tanning beds.
Having said that, in order to receive a good base tan, some skin types may need to tan up to 3 times a week, for several weeks. After a good base tan has been developed, you should drop your tanning visits to only once or twice a week for maintenance.
How Do I Prepare for My First Tanning Bed?
Before entering a tanning bed, there are a few steps you’ll want to take to ensure you make the most of the experience.
The first is to shower prior to entering the tanning bed. This rids your skin of dirt and grime that could potentially hinder your skin from being penetrated by UV rays.
After you’ve properly cleansed your skin, your next move should be to exfoliate. Exfoliation removes dead skin and provides a great base to begin the tanning process.
Once you’ve cleaned and scrubbed your skin, it is time to apply a light moisturizer out of the shower. Note that you will not be applying a specialized tanning lotion until you reach the salon. This will ensure that your skin is still moist when you enter the bed which is important for good results.
Once you enter the tanning salon, be prepared with a set of tanning goggles to protect your eyes, a bathing suit or whatever you plan to wear in the tanning bed, and a good tanning lotion, like Millenium Tanning Paint it Black, if you choose to use it.
Follow the instructions of the tanning specialist and do your best to apply your tanning lotion just before entering the bed, making sure to spread it evenly over the skin. Remember that applying too much lotion in certain spots will make those spots darker than the rest of your body, and applying too little lotion may not get you very dark at all!
How Do You Get a Good Tan in a Tanning Bed?
In order to get the best tan in a tanning bed, follow the above instructions as well as the instructions of the tanning specialist at your local salon. There are many different types of tanning beds, and they often work differently.
Be sure to do your research on which beds work best and follow your local tanning bed guidelines to ensure you get the best results every time.
What Do You Wear to a Tanning Bed?
While most people tend to wear a swimsuit in a tanning bed, the truth is, you could go in completely naked. Swimsuits can leave tan lines, which for many, isn’t such a big deal. If, however, you want to wear an off shoulder dress or wish to have no tan lines at all, then the best suit to wear in a tanning bed is your birthday suit.
Just be sure to clean the tanning bed after use.
How to Lay in a Tanning Bed
Are You Supposed to Flip Over in a Tanning Bed?
Depending on the tanning bed type, you may wish to flip over in the middle of your tanning session. If your tanning bed is upright or vertical, then this step won’t be necessary.
Stand Up Tanning Bed Tips For Beginners
Because vertical tanning beds don’t require you to lay down, you have the ability to move freely which can be really convenient.
In order to get the most even tan, lift your arms above your head for half the time then lower your arms for the rest of the time to avoid fatigue.
When using a stand up tanning bed, you may also angle yourself in whatever position you wish to get the ultimate bronzed body.
Can You See Results After One Tanning Bed Session?
While most people won’t notice a significant difference after one tanning bed visit, some that have skin that tans easily may. Most times, it will be other people, like your friends, co-workers and family that will notice your tan before you will.
But don’t give up. Safe tanning is often a gradual process. You’ll see that beautiful tan peak through with diligence and time!
Tanning Bed Tips For Beginners: It Takes Time!
In order for tanning to be safe and effective, you’ll need to be willing to put in the time and effort to achieve a base tan, which could take a few weeks. Nevertheless, with patience and the right products, you’ll have a beautiful bronzed body to show off in no time!
Here are more tanning related posts on our blog:
- Best Sunscreen for Tanning
- Can You Use Maui Babe Browning Lotion in a Tanning Bed?
- Best Tanning Bed Lotions for Fair Skin
- Should You Shower Before Or After Tanning In A Tanning Bed
How often should a beginner use a tanning bed?
In order to receive a good base tan, some skin types may need to tan up to 3 times a week, for several weeks. After a good base tan has been developed, you should drop your tanning visits to only once or twice a week for maintenance.
What do you wear to a tanning bed?
While most people tend to wear a swimsuit in a tanning bed, the truth is, you could go in completely naked.
Can you see results after one tanning bed session?
While most people won’t notice a significant difference after one tanning bed visit, some that have skin that tans easily may.
Yes it is!
Happy to introduce you to tanning beds! They’re not necessary for everyone, but it’s nice to have the option, isn’t it?
Protecting eyes is important❤
Hello there, I hope you’re having a good week and happy Friday!
This is one of the most useful guides about tanning. To be honest I have never used a tanning bed before, probably because I already have a bronzed coloured tone, anyway the fact about the SPF surprised me, also the fact of wearing glasses inside the bed.
I’ll be sharing this post with a friend, she’ll find it useful 😉
Comments are closed.