Hi beautiful! Just to let you know, we earn a modest commission off of purchases made through Amazon affiliate links on this page. Don't worry, it's of no extra cost to you. We love the products we recommend in this post, and we hope you do, too!
What to Use After The Ordinary Peeling Solution
|Top||CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser||Prime||Buy On Amazon||Buy CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser On Amazon|
|Paula's Choice Resist Weightless Advanced Repairing Toner||Prime||Buy On Amazon||Buy Paula's Choice Resist Weightless Advanced Repairing Toner On Amazon|
|The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Serum||Prime||Buy On Amazon||Buy The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Serum On Amazon|
|Top||Neutrogena Oil-Free Facial Moisturizer||Prime||Buy On Amazon||Buy Neutrogena Oil-Free Facial Moisturizer On Amazon|
|Top||Aveeno Continuous Protection Zinc Oxide Suncreen Lotion SPF 50||Prime||Buy On Amazon||Buy Aveeno Continuous Protection Zinc Oxide Suncreen Lotion SPF 50 On Amazon|
After a chemical peel, the skin is fragile and sensitive after removing dead skin cells and other debris. The same can be said of your skin after using The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution, which is a pretty strong acid exfoliation mask.
Taking care of your skin after a chemical peel is very important. A simplified skincare routine would include a cleanser, a toner, a serum, a moisturizer, and sun protection. Focus on using products that are mild, hydrating, and healing.
If you don’t typically use anything with a sensitive skin care label, consider adding them to your regimen for a few days, including:
A post-peel cleanser needs to be gentle to avoid irritating skin.
We love the CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser because not only is it incredibly gentle, but it contains ceramides that help to restore the skin’s protective barrier. It cleanses without drying or irritating skin, and has no parabens, fragrances, or harsh ingredients.
CeraVe products are dermatologist-developed and award-winning and are a great way to nourish the skin after peeling.
We mentioned using a healing, soothing toner, and this option does just that. Paula’s Choice Resist Weightless Advanced Repairing Toner works great for any post-chemical peel routine. This toner refines pores and improves skin tone and texture, without being drying at all. It repairs the skin, making it great to use after your skin’s been through something as harsh as a chemical peel.
This lightweight toner also helps improve the skin barrier, protecting your skin from environmental factors that can irritate and harm. It calms and renews the skin, which you very much need after exfoliating.
We recommend The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 serum. This water-based serum has a great pH level that hydrates and enhances the skin’s barrier. Since the alpha hydroxy acids in the peeling solution are at a very high concentration of 30%, you’d want to use a serum that replenishes the lost moisture stripped from the skin. The hyaluronic acid in this serum’s formula is your answer to this.
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 serum is also cruelty free. Its formulation has no drying alcohols or skin-irritating fragrances.
Adding moisture and hydration will help the skin heal faster, but you don’t want a moisturizer that will be heavy or clog your newly-cleared pores.
The Neutrogena Oil-Free Sensitive Skin Facial Moisturizer is a great choice, because it’s lightweight, non-greasy, and absorbs quickly without clogging pores.
The hypoallergenic formula leaves skin smooth and supple, without any oil, fragrances, or alcohols that can be drying and irritating. Neutrogena products are highly recommended by dermatologists and are safe for all skin types.
Sunblock or Sunscreen with High SPF
It’s incredibly important to avoid sun exposure after using The Ordinary Peeling Solution. This means wearing a hat and covering clothing, limiting time in the sun, and using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 50 or more.
It’s best to use a physical, mineral-based sunscreen, particularly if you are layering it beneath makeup (and check out our tips on layering sunscreen, so look for titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide in the ingredients.
Although it’s designed for children, we love the Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Zinc Oxide Mineral Sunscreen. It contains naturally-sourced zinc oxide, and skin-soothing oat, and is recommended by the National Eczema Association and the Skin Cancer Foundation. Since it’s formulated for babies and children, you’re sure that it’s really good for sensitive skin.
It offers sweat- and water-resistant SPF 50, in a formula that is hypoallergenic, paraben-free, phthalate-free, and fragrance-free. It’s non-irritating and non-greasy.
Recommended Skin Care Routine After Using The Ordinary AHA 30 BHA 2 Peeling Solution
- Use a gentle skin cleanser to wash your face, like the CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser. Try to limit your cleansing to two times a day only, since washing also strips the skin of its natural moisture and oils that it needs.
- Use a gentle toner that also has hydrating and soothing properties. The Paula’s Choice Weightless Advanced Repairing toner is great for this, as it heals the skin and improves skin tone.
- Next is serum. The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 is a great serum that you can use. The hyaluronic acid in the formula supports hydration. You can also use a mild vitamin C serum after about 2 days, as vitamin C has been known to be calming to the skin.
- Don’t forget to moisturize! Using a gentle, hydrating moisturizer is imperative when doing a chemical peel. The Neutrogena Oil-Free Sensitive Skin Facial Moisturizer is an affordable option.
- Don’t forget to use sunscreen, especially if you used a chemical peel in the daytime. The Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Zinc Oxide Mineral Sunscreen has good ingredients that are gentle to the skin
Here are other tips for your skincare after using The Ordinary Peeling Solution, or other chemical peels:
- Avoid ingredients that contain the same exfoliating acids as The Ordinary Peeling Solution (such as alpha-hydroxy acid and beta hydroxy acid). Using these same acids on top of The Ordinary Peeling solution will cause your skin to be double-exfoliated. As a result, skin may become drier, and other issues that occur to skin that has been exfoliated too much can arise.
- You should also avoid harsh ingredients that will cause irritation to the skin, such as denatured alcohols, scents, or witch hazel – a natural botanical ingredient which has been said to be too stripping.
- Wait at least a week before using skincare products with the same exfoliating acids in high percentages, to give your skin time to breathe. Using them the same day you do your peel will again cause your skin to be overly exfoliated, causing various skin issues like dryness and irritation.
- Opt for skincare that support skin hydration and moisturization, especially during the first few days of doing the peel.
- Do not scrub or rub on the skin, avoid touching it excessively with your hands, avoid any sun exposure, and use mild skincare and cosmetic products. Focus on being gentle with your delicate skin, and letting it renew itself naturally.
- It is recommended that you use The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution only about once a week, since it is a pretty strong chemical peel. The brand recommends to use this a maximum of twice per week, but if you have more sensitive skin, definitely only use it once.
- What NOT to use is just as important as what you SHOULD use after a chemical peel. For a week after a chemical peel, avoid the use of:
- Facial scrubs, scrubbing brushes, or other exfoliants (and always avoid walnut scrubs that are bad for the face at any time)
- Waxes or depilatory hair-removal products
- Skin bleaches or any harsh skin care products
- Anything with fragrances, a known skin irritant
How to Use The Ordinary Peeling Solution
- Cleanse face so that there are no traces of dirt or debris on the surface of your skin. This will enable the exfoliating peeling solution to lay better on your skin, as well as removing impurities from your face.
- Pat your face dry. You cannot effectively use this exfoliator on wet skin. The brand also strongly advises against using this on wet skin.
- Apply The Ordinary AHA 30 BHA 2 Peeling Solution like a mask on your face. Spread evenly on areas you want to exfoliate, avoiding the eyes and mouth.
- Wait 10 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water to make sure the peeling mask is completely off. Do not leave on for more than 10 minutes.
To check if your skin can take The OrdinaryPeeling Solution, perform a patch test using the following steps:
- Clean a section of your inner upper forearm
- Apply a small amount of the exfoliating mask
- Wait 10 minutes to see if your skin reacts
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
What is The Ordinary Peeling Solution and What Does it Do?
The Ordinary Peeling Solution is a chemical exfoliant. By applying acids to the surface of the skin, it promotes cell turnover in the topmost layer of the skin, removing dull, dry surface skin and exposing fresh, new skin cells beneath.
Glycolic peels help to clear pores, fight blemishes, reduce fine lines, and even out skin’s tone and texture.
Because they stimulate increased collagen production, reduce the visibility of age spots, and help to reduce fine lines, they have been part of anti-aging skin care for years. But because they also help to clear pores, prevent acne, and reduce hyperpigmentation, they have become popular with younger users as well.
There are many kinds of acids that can be used to promote peeling and cell turnover, like salicylic acid, lactic acid, tartaric acid, and more, but glycolic acids are particularly effective. Glycolic acid is probably the most known and used of all acids in skincare and dermatology. Among all these different types of acids, there are also different strengths or concentrations of acids.
Dermatologists can use acids in much higher concentrations that are only available to professionals, while only weaker forms of acid are available over the counter to consumers.
RELATED: Best Salicylic Acid Toners
The Ordinary Peeling Solution contains 30% alpha hydroxy acids, comprised of glycolic acid, along with lactic, tartaric, and citric acids. It also contains 2% beta hydroxy acid, made of salicylic acid. It also contains hyaluronic acid.
This formula is made to more deeply penetrate skin and promote exfoliation of deeper skin layers. Because these acids can irritate skin, it also contains vitamin B5, black carrot extract, and a Tasmanian Pepperberry extract to help reduce irritation and promote faster healing.
Are you a Sephora Beauty Insider? You can also purchase The Ordinary AHA 30 BHA 2 Peeling Solution on the Sephora website!
Who Should Use The Ordinary Peeling Solution?
Who is The Ordinary AHA 30 BHA 2 Peeling Solution for?
The Ordinary Peeling Solution is a huge favorite with beauty experts, bloggers, and influencers. Many people with different skin types have seen success in using this exfoliating mask, giving them radiant skin.
It can help to reduce or eliminate a wide range of skin problems, including:
- Fine lines
- Acne and blackheads
- Age and sunspots
- Dry, dull skin
- Rough skin
- Uneven skin tone
However, this is a powerful acid formula, and can irritate and inflame skin. It should not be used on sensitive, damaged, or peeling skin.
In fact, The Ordinary does not recommend this exfoliator for people who are new to glycolic peels, and you should always perform a patch test before use.
What Happens After You Use The Ordinary Peeling Solution?
After using The Ordinary AHA 30 BHA 2 Peeling Solution, or any glycolic peel, the skin will be extremely sensitive.
It’s important to avoid any exposure to the sun for a week or more afterward.
During the Peel
You will generally experience some tingling, but it should not be painful.
If it’s painful, remove the peel and wash the face gently but thoroughly.
Immediately After the Peel
The skin will feel tight and look red.
A Few Days After the Peel
Some people may notice their skin shedding and visibly peeling. This may go on for up to a week after the peel.
A Week After the Peel
The skin should look brighter and more even, with an improvement in skin tone.
It’s important to not use The Ordinary AHA 30 BHA 2 Peeling Solution more than twice a week, to avoid damaging the deeper, protective layers of the skin.
For a great 4-week review with before and after, check out this video:
Sensitive Skin Alternatives to The Ordinary Peeling Solution
If you’ve never used a peeling solution before, it’s best to start off with a milder formula and work your way up to The Ordinary Peeling Solution. And it’s always best to start gradually and increase frequency, so use a peel every two weeks, then once a week, then twice a week if needed.
If you have sensitive skin, you should probably avoid The Ordinary AHA 30 BHA 2 Peeling Solution. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get some of the brightening and healing benefits of a peel: it just means you should use a gentler product.
Lactic acid is a gentler acid than glycolic, with less chance of irritating delicate skin, or start with a glycolic acid toner or corrector before trying a skin peel.
A gentler alternative to The Ordinary Peeling Solution is The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + Ha 2% formula.
This peel is more superficial, with milder lactic acid at a lower concentration, but still includes the Tasmanian pepperberry to reduce inflammation and sensitivity. This is a gentler formula and can even be diluted with a light moisturizer to reduce the effects and impact on sensitive skin.
It’s a great way to gently ease into peels and experience the skin-evening and skin-brightening effects without using a harsh exfoliant that damages the skin. Don’t forget to conduct a patch test first, since sensitive skin isn’t just one size fits all.
After The Ordinary AHA 30 BHA 2 Peeling Solution: That Wonderful Peeling
Doing a chemical peel can do wonders for your blemish prone skin, may it be clearing the surface of oil, debris, dead skin, or renewing the outer layer to reveal a healthier one. Whether your skin is sensitive or not, it’s always best to proceed carefully with at-home acid peels and take care of your skin afterward, when your skin has been stripped of the outer layer of dead skin cells.
Although The Ordinary AHA 30 BHA 2 Peeling Solution is widely praised, it may not be for everyone. Always do a patch test 24 hours before and wait a week between treatments to make sure your skin tolerates the peel.
Over time, you can work your way up to twice-weekly skin peels, but don’t use them more often than that. Choose gentle products that heal and protect the skin and pamper it in the off days. If you’re not sure that something will work for you, do a patch test for each of them, even if it takes time.
If you have doubts, questions, or a severe reaction, see a dermatologist who can guide you to the right products and regimen to reveal your natural, healthy, glowing skin.
Check out related posts on our blog:
- Best Retin-A Product
- Moisturizer With Retin A
- Face Wash for Sensitive Oily Skin
- Best Salicylic Acid Toner