Hi beautiful! Just to let you know, we earn a modest commission off of purchases made through Amazon affiliate links on this page. Don't worry, it's of no extra cost to you. We love the products we recommend in this post, and we hope you do, too!
How to Get Splat Off Skin
Coloring your hair with Splat Hair Dye can be a messy process. You may get excess dye on your scalp or other areas of your skin. If you’re in this position, we’ll share a few different tips below to help you remove the Splat dye from your skin or scalp.
How to Remove Splat Hair Dye
There are a number of different methods you can try to remove Splat Hair Dye from your skin. These include:
- Oil: Baby oil and olive oil can be effective at removing hair dye stains. They are also very gentle, making them safe to use on the scalp. Rub olive oil or baby oil into the skin or scalp using your fingers right before going to bed. Let the oil stay on your skin overnight (at least seven hours). The next morning, rinse the oil off from the skin and use soap or shampoo to wash the residue off the skin or scalp.
- Toothpaste: Apply a non-gel toothpaste to the affected area of your skin. Use circular motions to rub it in and massage it into the skin. Use a washcloth, old toothbrush, or makeup remover pad to scrub the skin. Rinse off the toothpaste and repeat the steps if needed.
- Makeup remover: To use makeup remover to get rid of hair dye, apply the makeup remover over the stained skin using a cotton ball. Let the makeup remover sit on the stain for about 5 minutes. Then rinse it away and repeat if necessary.
- Baking soda and dish soap: Combine baking soda and dish soap together and mix. Place the mixture of the stain skin and use a washcloth or makeup remover pad to scrub and massage the solution into the skin. Rinse the solution off and repeat the steps if needed.
- Liquid laundry detergent: Place a small quantity of liquid laundry detergent on the stained area of skin. Use your finger to rub the detergent into your skin, then use a damp washcloth to scrub the soap and massage it into the skin. Let the soap sit on the skin for one hour, rinse it off, and repeat the process if needed.
How do you get Splat dye off your skin?
What takes Splat off skin? Trying one of the ideas we shared above, such as using liquid dish detergent or baby oil, can help you get hair dye off your skin. You can also try using nail polish remover if the Splat isn’t on your face or neck. If you need to know how to get Splat off scalp, consider trying toothpaste or olive oil, like we mentioned in the previous section.
How long does Splat hair dye stay on skin
While Splat Hair Dye is designed to last on hair for between four and six weeks, the length of time it will stay on your skin can vary. Typically, the stain will disappear within a few weeks, and fade even more quickly than that, when your skin cells turnover.
How do you remove Splat hair dye from hair?
If you’re not happy with the Splat hair color you chose or just ready to remove it for some other reason, know that Splat can be difficult to remove. Unlike other hair dyes that are more subtly-colored, Splat is very bright. This means that it won’t come out from hair as easily.
Splat is only designed to last in hair for about four to six weeks. Even after this time has passed, you may still have a little hair dye left, or you may be looking to remove all the dye from your hair more quickly.
Try one of these methods to remove the Splat dye from your hair:
- Clarifying shampoo with vitamin C: Mixing clarifying shampoo with crushed vitamin C tablets can help remove Splat from your hair. Apply the mixture to your head (only the areas where the Splat dye is) and scrub it into your hair and scalp. Let the shampoo and vitamin C sit for about 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing it out.
- Clarifying shampoo and baking soda: Combine a few teaspoons of baking soda with some clarifying shampoo and apply it over the areas of your head/hair where you used Splat dye. Let the shampoo and baking soda sit for about 30 minutes, then rinse it out.
Splat Hair Dye FAQs
Use these Splat hair dye frequently asked questions to help you learn more about using and removing Splat.
Does Splat 10 wash out completely?
Yes, Splat 10 is designed to wash completely out of hair in five to 10 washes.
How do you remove red Splat Hair Dye?
Splat recommends using a clarifying shampoo mixed with either baking soda or crushed vitamin C to remove their hair dye.
Can I leave Splat Hair Dye in overnight?
No, you should not leave Splat Hair Dye on your hair overnight. At most, Splat hair dye will only need about 45 minutes to change your hair color.
Does Splat Hair Dye stop bleeding?
The bright color of Splat Hair Dye may bleed onto the lighter sections of your hair. To prevent this from happening, you can coat the hairs you are not coloring using conditioner. This will create a protective shield for these hairs to prevent the Splat from bleeding onto them.
Can you dye wet hair with Splat?
If you dye wet hair with Splat, the color you achieve likely won’t be as vibrant as what is shown on the box.
Does Splat Midnight damage hair?
Many Splat Hair Dyes are made without peroxide, making them less damaging than other hair dyes. If you use Splat correctly with healthy hair, it is not designed to do any damage. However, if your hair is already damaged from past treatments, colorings, or bleachings, using Splat could make the damage worse.
It is also possible for Splat to cause a chemical burn to your scalp. One way to minimize the chances of this happening is to dye your hair when it is dirty, rather than shortly after washing it.
Does Splat Hair Dye have chemicals?
The makers of Splat formulated it without using any harsh chemicals. Splat Hair Dyes are also vegan, cruelty-free, and gluten-free.
Why is Splat Hair Dye bad?
Does Splat damage your hair? While many people love Splat Hair Dye, others do not like the product. Some complaints include how much the color can bleed and how difficult the color is to remove from the hair or skin.
Hair Dye FAQs
How to Take Off Hair Dye from Skin?
When you dye your hair, you want to do just that: color your hair. Dyeing your skin was not part of the plan, but sometimes it happens anyway. If you’ve colored your hair with Splat or another hair dye product, and ended up with dye on your scalp or another area of your skin, use our suggestions below to help you remove the dye.
How do you get hair dye off your skin?
Getting hair dye off your skin may sound overwhelming, but there are actually a number of pretty easy tips and tricks you can try. In addition to the ideas we shared above for removing Splat from your skin (oil, toothpaste, makeup remover, baking soda with dish soap, and liquid laundry detergent), a few others you can try include:
- Petroleum jelly: Petroleum jelly can absorb excess color from hair dye on the skin, so rubbing it over the stain can be effective. You may need to repeat the process a few times. Petroleum jelly is gentle on skin, but take caution not to get any in your eyes.
- Nail polish remover: Nail polish remover shouldn’t be used on your face or neck, but it can be used to remove hair dye stains from your arms, hands, and other areas. Dip a cotton ball in nail polish remover and squeeze out any excess liquid. Then, dab the skin and rub the cotton ball over the stain. Since the alcohol in the nail polish remover can start to burn or damage skin, only rub it into your skin for 30 seconds to one minute before rinsing it away.
- Hair color remover wipes: You can purchase hair dye remover wipes, such as these from FRAMAR. The wipes are designed to remove dye stains from the skin and are very easy to use.
- Hair color stain remover: Trying the Roux Clean Touch stain remover is another option to consider. This liquid stain remover can be rubbed over the skin and works well to eliminate hair dye stains.
- Time: While it may not be as fast as some of the solutions shared above, sometimes time is the best solution for removing hair color from your skin. As your skin cells turnover, the hair dye will become less noticeable. After about a week, most of the color will have nearly faded away.
How do you get hair dye off your skin after it dries?
If you have hair dye on your skin, trying one of the strategies shared above, such as using petroleum jelly, oil, toothpaste, or baking soda with liquid dish soap, can help remove it.
How long does it take for dye to come off skin?
It generally takes about one to two weeks for dye to come off skin. The color should start to fade sooner than this, though, as your skin cells regenerate themselves.
How do you get hair dye off your hands?
If you have hair dye on your hands, you can try using one of the ideas above, such as nail polish remover or toothpaste. If that doesn’t work, you can try making a bleach and baking soda paste and using it to remove the dye from your hands.
How to get hair dye off scalp but not hair?
If you have excess hair dye on your scalp that you want to remove, try using baby oil or olive oil to remove it without removing the color from the hair.
How to get black hair dye off skin?
Black hair dye can be particularly tricky to get off the skin. Try one of the ideas above, like using toothpaste, oil, or baking soda and dish soap, but be prepared to repeat the steps a few times to remove all the color from your skin.
How to get brown hair dye off skin?
Brown hair dye can also be a little stubborn. As with black hair dye, be prepared to spend some time repeating the steps and using different removal methods to get rid of all the color.
Does toothpaste remove hair dye from hair?
Toothpaste can help remove hair dye from your skin, but you probably don’t want to use it on your hair. While applying toothpaste to your hair and leaving it to sit may help lighten the hair, it can also be very drying and cause damage to your hair.
Does milk remove hair dye from skin?
Yes, using milk can help you remove hair dye from your skin. Milk is very gentle and won’t damage your skin, but it can also work well to get hair dye off your skin. To use milk, submerge a cotton ball in milk, squeeze it out, and rub it on the skin where you need to remove the dye.
Does Vaseline remove hair dye from skin?
Yes, Vaseline may be helpful if you’re trying to remove hair dye from your skin. Use a wipe and rub the Vaseline onto the hair dye stain on your skin. As you rub, the Vaseline should work to absorb much of the hair color. Then, simply wipe off the excess Vaseline, and the color should come off with it.
How to Get Splat Off Skin: Final Words
If you ended up with Splat hair dye on your scalp or skin after coloring your hair, don’t fret! As we shared above, there are many different strategies you can try to remove the dye from your skin without impacting the color that is on your hair.
To learn more about coloring your hair, read through these related posts on our blog: