Have you been dreaming of going platinum blonde? Are you looking to lighten your tresses enough to help it accept a different hair color? If so, you’re probably on a search for the best hair bleach. Bleaching your hair can yield impressive results, but if you don’t use the right product or take the right precautions, you can end up with a disaster. Keep reading to find out our picks for the best hair bleach as well as some tips for bleaching your hair at home.
Table of Contents
- Best Hair Bleach
- What’s the best bleach for hair?
- Different Types of Bleach for Hair
- Hair Bleaching Tips
- Bleaching Your Hair At Home
Best Hair Bleach
- Manic Panic Flash Lightning Hair Bleach Kit
- L’OREAL PARIS Quick Blue Powder Bleach
- Schwarzkopf Professional Blond Me Premium Lift 9
- L’Oreal Paris Colorista Bleach
- Schwarzkopf BlondMe Premium Lightener 9+
- L’Oreal Paris Feria Hyper Platinum Advanced Lightening System
- WELLA Color Charm Powder Lightener
- Manic Panic Blue Lightning Hair Bleach Kit
- MASIL Dual Glam Self Hair Highlight Bleach Kit
- RAW Beyond Bleach White-Out Kit
- Garnier Nutrisse Mascarpone Creme Hair Color
- ‘N Rage Bleach & Toner Kit
- Sally Hansen Extra Strength Creme Bleach
- Quick Blue High Performance Powder Lightener Packette
- L’Oreal Paris Super Blonde Creme Lightening Kit
- Clairol Professional BW2 Hair Powder Lightener
- Schwarzkopf Igora Vario Blond Plus
- Sun Bum Blonde Formula Hair Lightener
- Revlon Color Effects Platinum Blond Hair Color
- Jolen Creme Bleach Formula
- Manic Panic Amplified Flash Lightning Hair Bleach Kit
Below you’ll find some of the best hair bleaches on the market. We’ve tried to help you find the right bleach for your locks by identifying the best hair bleaches and bleach kits for different hair types.
What’s the best bleach for hair?
Editor’s Pick: Manic Panic Flash Lightning Hair Bleach Kit
- Lifts up to five levels
- Dust-free bleach powder
- Helps prepare hair to accept a new hair color
- Kit includes everything you’ll need for bleaching
The Manic Panic Flash Lightning Hair Bleach Kit is designed to lift hair up to five shades and prepare it to accept a new vibrant hair day. This is a dust-free bleach powder that evenly lifts color from all hair strands. The kit comes with everything you’ll need to bleach your locks including the bleach powder, a cream developer, a mixing tub, a tint brush, a plastic cap, plastic gloves, and instructions.
Why We Love It
We chose the Manic Panic Flash Lightning Hair Bleach Kit as our top pick for a few reasons. We like that kit comes with everything you’ll need to bleach your tresses. This dust-free powder bleach will lighten hair up to five levels to prepare it to accept a new hair color or let you enjoy a lighter blonde color.
Reviews for this hair bleach are overwhelmingly positive. Users have shared how impressed they are with how well it lightened their hair and helped it accept a fun new hair color. While most users really loved this hair bleach, some say it wasn’t strong enough for their dark black or brown hair.
Best Hair Bleach for Dark Hair: L’OREAL PARIS Quick Blue Powder Bleach
- Extra strength formula for fast results
- Lifts color up to seven levels
- Dust-free formula
- Non-drip application
What is the best product to bleach dark hair? If you have dark hair that you want to lighten, you’ll definitely want to consider the L’Oreal Paris’ Quick Blue Powder Bleach. This is an extra-strength powder that can quickly lighten your locks up to seven levels. It has a non-drip and dust-free formula.
Individuals who have tried this L’Oreal powder hair bleach have shared how fast and effective it was at lifting their hair color to leave them with a gorgeous blonde color. Some customers were disappointed at how little powder was in the bucket compared to its large size.
Best Hair Bleach for Dark Curly Hair: Schwarzkopf Professional Blond Me Premium Lift 9
- Lifts colored or natural hair color up to 9 levels
- Powdered lightener
- Anti-yellow agents to prevent yellow undertones
- Flexible mixing ratio
Those with dark curly hair should take a look at the Schwarzkopf Professional Blond Me Premium. This powdered lightener is suitable for use on naturally dark hair or colored tresses and can lift it up to 9 levels. It also contains anti-yellow agents that get rid of those yellow undertones you may need to deal with other bleaches.
If you ask people who have tried this Schwarzkopf hair bleach, they’ll tell you that it is the best product they’ve tried. Many have shared that they were able to tell a noticeable difference between the quality of this hair bleach and other options they’d tried. A few users said that the bleach burns their locks when they use it.
Best Box Bleach for Dark Hair: L’Oreal Paris Colorista Bleach
- Prepares hair to accept a new color
- Offers customizable results
- Includes bleach, lightening creme, and anti-brass conditioner
The L’Oreal Paris Colorista Bleach is designed to help users lighten their hair color so it is ready to accept a new, fun color of hair dye. It is specifically designed to be used with Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Dyes. Each order includes the hair bleach/developer, a lightening creme, and an anti-brass conditioner.
Customers who have tried the Colorista hair bleach have shared how well it lightened their hair to help them achieve their desired color. They have also said that it was easier to apply than other bleaches they’ve tried. Some users did not have these same positive results and said that the bleach didn’t lighten their hair very evenly.
Best Bleach for Black Dyed Hair: Schwarzkopf BlondMe Premium Lightener 9+
- Lightens up to nine levels
- Minimizes hair breakage
- Flexible working ratio
- Kit includes lightener, developer, and hair clips
This hair bleaching kit from Schwarzkopf includes the BlondMe Premium Lightener, the BlondMe Premium Developer, and 6 Piranha hair clips to use when bleaching your hair. The bleach can help lighten hair up to nine levels using integrated bonding technology.
Most users rave about their experiences with this Schwarzkopf kit. They have shared how impressed with the salon-quality results they were able to achieve in their own home. Some users did say that they felt the bottle didn’t last as long as they thought it would.
Best Drugstore Bleach for Dark Hair: L’Oreal Paris Feria Hyper Platinum Advanced Lightening System
- For platinum blonde hair
- Lightens up to eight levels
- Includes an anti-brass condition
One of the best drugstore bleach picks for individuals with dark hair is the L’Oreal Paris Feria Hyper Platinum Advanced Lightening System. This system can lighten hair up to eight levels to help even individuals with darker hair achieve a platinum blonde look. The kit also includes a purple anti-brass conditioner to reinforce hair and take away brassy tones.
Individuals who have tried the L’Oreal Advanced Lightening System and other products are impressed with how much better this bleach is at removing the brassy tones from their hair. They also like how they were able to achieve a salon-like platinum hair color without going to the salon. However, some individuals said that the color they were able to get did not match what was indicated on the packaging.
Best Hair Lightener for Dark Brown Hair: WELLA Color Charm Powder Lightener
- Lifts up to seven levels
- Suitable for both on- and off-scalp application
Another top choice for those with dark hair is the WELLA Color Charm Powder Lightener. This dust-free powder offers up to seven levels of lift and can be used both on- or off- the scalp. It pairs nicely with the WELLA Color Charm Toners for a truly platinum look.
Most customers who have used this WELLA lightener have shared very positive results. Overall, they love how quickly it bleached their hair and that it gives them a simple at-home solution. Some individuals shared that they weren’t happy with how much powder was included in the package.
Best Bleaching Kit for Dark Brown Hair: Manic Panic Blue Lightning Hair Bleach Kit
- Lifts up to five levels
- Removes yellow tones from hair
- Kit includes everything you’ll need to lighten hair
- Cruelty-free and vegan
If you want a bleaching kit that offers everything you’ll need to bleach your hair, consider the Manic Panic Blue Lightning Hair Bleach Kit. The kit comes with a dust-free blue toner powder bleach, a thirty volume cream developer, a mixing bug, a tint brush, a plastic cap and gloves, and directions. The special blue toner powder works to neutralize yellow tones and lightens hair up to five levels.
Manic Panic users have shared how simple this bleach is to apply to their hair compared with other products they’ve tried. They have also stated that they are very pleased with the lightening they’re able to achieve with using the bleach. On the other hand, a few users said that they felt the bleach was too thin to work with easily.
Best Bleach for Brown Hair: MASIL Dual Glam Self Hair Highlight Bleach Kit
- Easy-to-use applicator bottle
- Designed for use with hair types and textures
If you have brown hair, take a look at the MASIL Dual Glam Highlight Bleach Kit. This kit comes with an easy-to-use applicator bottle. All you’ll need to do is add the powder and developer, shake the bottle, and apply it to your hair. It can be used on individuals with any hair type or texture.
People who have tried the MASIL kit like that it doesn’t burn their scalp or damage their hair. They have also shared that it is quite powerful and effective. A few users shared that they had trouble getting the bleach to mix properly in the bottle.
Best Hair Bleach Kit: RAW Beyond Bleach White-Out Kit
- Can be used for bleaching, highlighting, or frosting hair
- Lightens up to seven levels
- Kit includes everything you’ll need
The RAW Beyond Bleach White-Out kit includes a bleach packet, bleach activator, White Out toner, brush, gloves, and directions to give you everything you’ll need to bleach, frost, or highlight your hair. You will be able to lighten your hair up to seven levels in minimal time with this non-damaging hair bleach.
The majority of customers who have tried this RAW White-Out kit love how much it has lightened their hair. Many have said that the amount of bleach that comes in the kit is the right amount for highlighting hair, but said that they would have needed to order multiple boxes if they wanted to bleach their hair.
Best Hair Bleach for Natural Hair: Garnier Nutrisse Mascarpone Creme Hair Color
- Permanent blonde hair color
- Formulated with avocado oil and grape seed to nourish hair
- Works on dark hair
Users with natural hair may want to consider the Garnier Nutrisse Mascarpone Creme Hair Color instead of a potentially damaging hair lightener. This permanently light blonde hair color is formulated with avocado oil, olive oil, and shea to nourish hair as it colors. It can even lighten dark hair.
Individuals who have tried this Garnier hair color are impressed with how well it worked on their dark hair. They also love how long the color lasted on their locks. However, some users who purchased the mascarpone color said that it wouldn’t work for their hair without bleaching it first.
Strongest Hair Bleach: ‘N Rage Bleach & Toner Kit
- 2-step system for optimal results
- Suitable for use with all hair types and colors
- Designed for at-home or salon use
- All-in-one bleach kit
If you need a strong hair bleach to really lighten your hair, take a look at the ‘N Rage Bleach and Toner Kit. This kit includes a 2-step system to bleach hair and lighten it effectively, both in salons or at home. The kit includes a 10-minute bleach formulate, 40 volume activator, and a conditioning toner to offer bright, white hair.
People who used other products and then tried the ‘N Rage Kit were shocked at how much more effective it was for truly whitening their hair. Users with all different hair colors have shared that it lightened their hair to help them achieve the results they were looking for. However, many users did note that you may need to purchase multiple kits to get enough bleaching powder to bleach all of your hair.
Most Gentle Hair Bleach: Sally Hansen Extra Strength Creme Bleach
- No-drip formula
- Formulated with aloe vera for gentle bleaching
- Mixes quickly
What is the least damaging hair bleach? Look no further than Sally Hansen’s Extra Strength Creme Bleach. This bleach creme also includes aloe vera to ensure gentle bleaching. This bleach can be used on one’s face and body hair to help lighten it to match your natural (or dyed/bleached) hair color.
Most customers are so happy that they found this Sally Hansen Creme. Many say that this is the least damaging hair bleach brand and are very pleased that they were able to lighten their facial hair to make it less noticeable and help it blend in with their hair color. Some users said that it made their skin burn when they used it.
Best Cheap Hair Bleach: Quick Blue High Performance Powder Lightener Packette
- Lifts hair up to seven levels
- Thick, no-drip consistency
- Stays moist during bleaching process
- Does not need to be remixed
If you’re looking for a hair bleach that won’t break the bank, take a look at the Quick Blue High Performance Powder Lightener Packette. This bleach has a creamy consistency that will stay moist as you apply it to your hair and throughout the whole bleaching process. It can lighten hair up to seven levels to help you achieve that gorgeous blonde color you’ve been longing for.
Individuals love how easy this cheap hair bleach is to use. They are also very happy with the results they achieved and how well the Quick Blue Lightener stripped the color of their hair. However, some individuals with darker hair didn’t find the bleach to be sufficient for their needs.
Best Drugstore Bleach Kit: L’Oreal Paris Super Blonde Creme Lightening Kit
- Non-drip formula
- Suitable for use with both natural or color-treated hair
Another one of the best hair bleaches to consider is the L’Oreal Paris Super Blonde Creme Lightening Kit. This kit can help those with color-treated or natural hair achieve the lighter hair color they’re looking for. The formula is creamy for even application and works to condition hair and protect it from damage while lightening it.
Many long-time customers of this L’Oreal lightening kit swear by it. They have shared that it delivers consistent results to help them keep their tresses the color they desire. Some users, on the other hand, were not happy that they had to apply the bleach to their hair multiple times to get the color they wanted.
Best Professional Bleach for Platinum Blonde: Clairol Professional BW2 Hair Powder Lightener
- Cream consistency for easy application
- Works quickly
- Keeps you in control of how light you want your hair
Stick with a brand professionals trust and try Clairol’s Professional BW2 Hair Powder Lightener. This lightener is easy to apply and work with due to its creamy consistency. It is also dedusted, so you won’t have to worry about getting powder everywhere. You’ll find that this bleach powder works quickly to deliver the results you’d expect from a professional hair bleach.
Those who have tried this professional powder lightener by Clairol love how it helps them achieve the platinum blonde color they’re after. Many users also shared that they tried this hair bleach after using many other bleaches that weren’t as effective. Some customers were not happy with how little powder was in the big container.
Best Bleaching Powder for Hair: Schwarzkopf Igora Vario Blond Plus
- Lifts hair up to eight levels
- Minimizes hair breakage
- Dust-free powder
- Feature FIBRE BOND technology to strengthen hair bonds
The Schwarzkopf Igora Vario Blond Plus is a blue dust-free powder that can lift hair color up to seven levels. This powder is specially formulated with FIBRE BOND technology that reduces hair breakage during the bleaching process by strengthening bonds in hair.
Most customers are thrilled that they decided to give the Schwarzkopf Igora Vario Blond Plus a try. They have shared that they love that they can get multiple uses from the container and enjoy the cool-toned coloring lifting power. A few users didn’t love how the powder worked on their hair and felt that it left it too orangey.
Best Bleach for Blonde Hair: Sun Bum Blonde Formula Hair Lightener
- Brightens hair using the sun
- Formulated with honey and lemon
- Activated by heat
If you’re naturally blonde and want to lighten your hair more, try the Sun Bum Blonde Formula Hair Lightener. This spray used Hawaiian Lehua Honey and Lemon to naturally lighten and brighten hair in the sun. Simply spray it over your hair and head out to catch some rays; the spray will be activated by heat.
Users love that they were able to lighten their hair without using bleach or making it turn orange with this Sun Bum spray. They also love the pleasant smell of the spray. However, some individuals shared that they didn’t notice any difference in their hair color after trying the spray.
Best Box Bleach: Revlon Color Effects Platinum Blond Hair Color
- Designed for users with light brown or blonde locks
- Easy-to use cream formula
- Moisturizes hair with jojoba seed oil and keratin
If you have naturally light brown or blonde tresses that you want to transform to platinum, give the Revlon Color Effects Platinum Blond Hair Color a try. This is a lightening cream formulated with jojoba seed oil and keratin, so it also moisturizes hair as it lightens it.
People who have tried this Revlon Color have expressed how happy they are with how well it lightened their hair to turn it into a stunning platinum blonde color. However, some individuals with darker hair weren’t happy that it didn’t give them their desired effects.
RELATED: Best Platinum Hair Dye
Safest Hair Bleaching Kit: Jolen Creme Bleach Formula
- Formulated with aloe vera
- Gentle on skin
- Quick and easy-to-use
- For all face and body hair types and colors
The Jolen Creme Bleach Formula is a safe and gentle hair bleaching kit for face and body hair. The bleach formula has aloe vera to be gentle on skin, even sensitive skin types. You can use this quick bleach on all types of hair and all hair colors to lighten them.
This face and body hair bleach by Jolen is very popular among people who have tried. Users with sensitive skin love that they can use it without any reaction. Other users are impressed with how nicely it lightened their hair. Some people were disappointed that they had to go through multiple lightening sessions to arrive at their desired color.
Best At Home Bleaching Kit: Manic Panic Amplified Flash Lightning Hair Bleach Kit
- Lifts up to seven levels
- Dust-free powder bleach
- Kit includes everything you need
- Vegan and cruelty-free
What is the best at home hair bleach? Manic Panic’s Amplified Hair Bleach Kit is certainly a top contender. If you’re looking for how to bleach your hair at home, this kit will provide you with everything you’ll need including the dust-free powder, 40 volume cream developer, mixing tub, tint brush, plastic cap and gloves, and clear direction. The vegan and cruelty-free Manic Panic kit can lift hair up to seven levels.
The majority of users were absolutely impressed with the results they achieved with this at home hair bleach. Many shared that it lightened their hair by seven or more levels. Some individuals shared that they didn’t like the results and that the color was too patchy, or it made their hair too orangey.
Different Types of Bleach for Hair
When you’re looking to bleach your hair, you’ll notice that there are three different types of hair bleach.
The three types are:
- Oil bleach comes with hydrogen peroxide, volume developers, and other activators to lighten hair. It is not as effective at quickly bleaching hair multiple shades lighter. In most cases, an oil bleach will be able to bring hair three shades lighter. This makes an oil bleach a better choice for touching up the roots or highlighting hair. Oil bleach is also very liquidy and may drip as you’re working.
- Cream bleaches are thicker than oil bleaches and are easier to work with. These bleaches have a formula with bluing agents and thickeners to bleach hair. They work more gradually, so they aren’t as fast as a powder bleach. However, since they work more slowly, you’ll have more control and be able to stop at your desired color. Cream bleaches are also formulated with conditioner to prevent hair from getting too dry.
- If you’re looking for the fastest hair bleach, you’ll want to try a powder bleach. To use these bleaches, you need to mix a developer with the powder to make a paste to apply to your hair. However, while powder bleach works quickly, it can also be very drying.
Hair Bleaching Tips
If you’re going to bleach your own hair at home, keep the following hair bleaching tips in mind to help ensure you’re happy with the results.
- Prep your hair: Consider using coconut oil before dying your hair before bleaching it. A few days before you plan to bleach your hair, apply coconut oil to your locks. This helps prevent overly damaged results from the harsh bleach.
- Be patient: If you’re looking to lighten your hair multiple shades, it will likely take multiple bleaching sessions to achieve the color you’re after. Don’t expect one time to yield the drastic change you’re after.
- Get all the supplies ready: To bleach your hair you’ll need bleach powder, developer, and gloves. Some bleaches come in a kit, which should include everything you need.
- Read before you proceed: Closely read the directions for the specific bleach you purchase. Different products may have slightly different directions, and you’ll want to closely follow the recommended steps outlined by the manufacturer for optimal results.
- Let the bleach and developer sit for 15 to 30 minutes: After mixing the bleach powder and developer, apply it to your locks and allow it to sit for 15 to 39 minutes. The exact time may vary depending on which hair lightener you purchased, your current color, and your desired hair color.
- Take care of your hair: Once you have bleached your hair, be sure to take good care of it. Choose a sulfate-free purple shampoo and conditioner to help keep the blonde color looking its best.
Bleaching Your Hair At Home
Choosing one of our recommended bleaches above should help you achieve your desired results. Keep in mind that you may require a few bleaching sessions to lighten your hair enough, especially if your hair is dark.
More posts about dye on the blog:
What brand of bleach for hair is the best?
What is the healthiest hair bleach?
If you’re looking for a healthy hair bleach, look for one that is more gentle on hair. Choosing one that conditions hair is a good idea as well.
How can I lighten my hair without bleaching it fast?
If you recently bleached your hair, but the color didn’t come out light enough, you may be wondering how long to wait until you can bleach your hair again. Rather than waiting, there are other options to lighten your hair without bleaching it that you may want to try. Some natural hair lighteners you can try include lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, chamomile, honey, and salt.
How do you bleach dark hair without turning it orange?
If you want to lighten your dark hair without it turning orange, you’ll need to leave the bleach on your hair longer than you would if you had lighter hair. The contributing pigment in dark brown tresses is orange, so when the bleach isn’t soaking on the hair long enough, some orange will still show through. If you have darker hair, you may also want to consider using a semi-permanent dye after bleaching your hair to achieve your desired color.
How can I lighten my dark hair without bleach?
If you want to lighten darker hair without using bleach there are a few different things you can try. These include spending more time in the sunshine (which is a natural lightener), putting lemon juice on your tresses before sitting in the sun, applying a mix of 1 part apple cider vinegar to 5 parts water to your hair after shampooing your hair and before conditioning it.
Can you go blonde without bleaching your hair?
The answer to this question will depend on how light your natural hair color is. If you have very light brown locks, you may be able to dye it with hair dye rather than using bleach. If you have darker hair, however, you’ll likely need to use bleach if you want to make your hair blonde.
How can I lighten my dark hair naturally?
To lighten dark hair naturally, you can use ingredients that may already be in your kitchen. These include baking soda, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and honey.
What type of bleach to use for dark hair?
If you have dark hair, a powder bleach is most effective. However, keep in mind that it will likely take numerous bleaching sessions to achieve the color you desire if your hair is dark.