Most foundations are designed to even out skin color, conceal dark spots and hyperpigmentation. Unfortunately, those same foundations often don’t conceal well and can actually exaggerate areas of uneven skin texture, making scars, bumps, fine lines, and large pores look even more visible than before. For those who need a foundation that not only evens out color, but helps to cover and smooth skin texture, it’s important to know which foundation to choose.
Tips for Choosing a Foundation to Cover Scars, Enlarged Pores, and Skin Texture Problems
When looking for a full-coverage foundation, of course we all want the product to smooth out skin texture, give a natural and comfortable finish, and last all day. However, there is an important distinction between makeup for inflamed and irritated skin that is prone to acne and makeup for skin that has old scars, discolorations and texture problems. In the first instance, skin is likely to be both oily and sensitive, and in the latter it may be dry and developing fine lines.
For skin that is irritated, oily, and acne-prone
- Consider mineral makeup. Minerals are great for managing oil without irritating skin, and provide solid, luminous coverage
- Lean toward powders and away from creams. Powder foundations can be a great solution for creating a long-lasting matte finish
- Look for skin-soothing ingredients. Irritated skin needs additional love, so look for calming ingredients like calendula, aloe and oats
For skin that is dry or combination, with texture problems
- Look for light but buildable coverage. Heavy makeup can settle into pores, fine lines, scars, and other surface imperfections. Look for a lightweight foundation that glides over these areas, but also can be layered for more coverage where needed
- Lean toward creams and serums and away from powders. Powders can be drying and take needed moisture away from the skin
- Look for moisturizing ingredients. Particularly if your skin is aging, it’s a good idea to look for moisturizing ingredients like shea butter, jojoba or argan oils, and rose extracts. You can also boost and renew skin with gentle exfoliants like alpha hydroxy acids
The Best High-Coverage Foundations for Textured Skin
The Bella Terra 3-in-1 BB cream moisturizes, conceals, and fights the signs of aging. This BB cream conceals blemishes, scars, dark circles, and fine lines. It gives a lightweight, natural coverage that lasts all day, and is easily buildable for customized coverage and flexibility for daily fluctuations in your skin’s needs. Even better, the all-natural formula is made from pure, high-quality mica, zinc, and magnesium. The natural, mineral-based formula has no parabens, preservatives, alcohol, talc, or chemicals, making it perfect for sensitive skin.
The minerals in this BB cream not only provide SPF 15 protection against UVA and UVB rays, but also improve your complexion over time. The nourishing cream helps to reduce dryness, inflammation, and irritation, helping to calm and smooth dry, irritated, acne-prone skin from the inside out.
- Natural, mineral-based formula that improves skin
- Provides lightweight, effective, long-lasting coverage
- Buildable for custom coverage or combination with other skin care products
- Conceals everything from bumps and scars to fine lines and large pores
- Only 6 shades available
- Pump is poorly designed, so it’s hard to take just a drop at a time. It often dispenses too much product at once, leading to waste – be careful!
The Bella Terra BB Cream is fantastic for those who have fluctuating skin needs. The lightweight foundation can provide nearly invisible coverage when needed, or be layered for more coverage on demand. It’s a great way to actually heal skin while covering problems. It may be too light for those who need or want a lot of coverage, and the mineral formula works best for medium to oily skin.
Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Liquid Foundation is designed for those with normal-to-oily skin who want to refine pores and get a smooth, seamless finish. It has micro-powders that not only smooth over pores, but also control shine and deflect light for a blurred, airbrushed finish. This foundation is non-comedogenic, non-allergenic, and dermatologist tested. Getting this kind of medium-weight, pore-concealing smooth coverage from a drugstore brand is great for those on a budget, and it comes in more than 40 shades for a perfect match.
- Smooth, buildable, blendable coverage
- Comes in over 40 shades for the perfect match
- Conceals large pores without heaviness or caking
- Great for combination skin
- Not suited for dry skin
- Works best with a primer
Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Liquid Foundation is a great option for those with combination or oily skin, who want to conceal minor texture problems and large pores without a heavy, full coverage. It may not cover more prominent scars and wrinkles, but doesn’t exaggerate them, and we love the huge range of shades.
The Dermablend Intense Powder High Coverage Foundation has high-performance pigments with buildable coverage from sheer to full, that lasts all day. This powder foundation evens out skin tone, covers redness, and can even cover rosacea, acne scars, and tough skin surface problems. Formulated for oily and combination skin, it’s also safe for sensitive and acne-prone skin. This vegan foundation has no animal ingredients or byproducts, and contains no parabens, sulfates, phthalates, or triclosan. It is dermatologist and allergy tested, fragrance and oil free, and comes in 15 shades for a good match.
- Excellent, long-lasting coverage
- Can cover both color and texture challenged skin
- Buildable and blends easily from sheer and light to stronger coverage
- Safe for skin that is sensitive or acne-prone
- Not for dry skin, where it can become cakey
This powder foundation is best for combination and oily skin, and is a great solution for people with problem areas. For light coverage, it can be dusted on with a brush or a sponge for more coverage and excellent blendability. The Dermablend Intense Powder is a great choice to give a smooth, matte finish for oily skin, but powder foundations are usually not a great choice for dry or aging skin, where they can settle into fine lines.Buy on Amazon
Many people who have acne-prone skin have already heard about the amazing benefits of Amazonian clay. Tarte now gives you that healing clay in a full-coverage foundation that lasts all day. It provides fast full coverage that doesn’t cake or crease, and leaves you with a natural, healthy matte finish for up to 12 hours. The oil-free vegan formula has no parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, triclosan, or sodium lauryl sulfate, and it is gluten-free. The natural mineral pigments give great, natural coverage, while vitamin E and Amazonian clay actually improve your skin over time. It is available in 40 shades, and each bottle contains a generous 1.7 ounces of product.
- Amazonian clay helps to heal and balance the skin over time
- Medium coverage that is easily buildable
- Lasts all day long
- Suitable for all skin types
- Comes in 40 shades
- Expensive, but there is more product in the bottle than in most foundations
This product probably shouldn’t be called “full coverage” because people who are accustomed to full coverage foundations often find that they need to build a little bit with the Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full Coverage Foundation. It’s a mousse-like foundation with medium-to-full coverage that really does last all day. This foundation is great for oily, acne-prone skin, but also helps to heal and protect dry and combination skin, and won’t exaggerate fine lines and wrinkles. Amazonian clay will help soothe, balance, and calm skin over time, so this foundation helps your skin.
A lot of foundations designed to cover large pores and acne scars aren’t suitable for dry, aging skin, but BaeBlu’s Lux Liquid Foundation + Primer is a foundation that can do everything. It provides smooth, even, buildable coverage that smooths fine lines and enlarged pores, balancing moisture and calming redness. The botanical formula is anti-aging, with aloe, shea butter, vitamin E, and healing herbs that help to restore skin’s healthy, youthful glow. Even better, this foundation is all-natural and organic, with no artificial colors, preservatives, fragrances, or dyes. It is vegan, non-GMO, cruelty-free, and made in the USA. It comes in 12 shades, and is suitable for all skin types.
- Natural, organic, plant-based foundation with no dangerous or synthetic ingredients
- Healthy oils and botanicals heal, soothe, and protect skin
- Smooth, medium weight, buildable coverage
- Good for all skin types, particularly dry or aging skin
- Helps to reduce breakouts
- Only available in 12 shades
This all-natural, botanical foundation gives great, blendable coverage that improves skin over time. It’s great for all skin types, but people who need or want heavy coverage will want to build this foundation or pair it with a concealer. While it only comes in 12 shades, we love that BaeBlu sells 3-color sample packs, so you can easily find your perfect match before buying a whole bottle.