How do you use oval makeup brushes?Finding the right tools to use in any situation can be difficult; when it affects how the world perceives you, it becomes quite important. In this post we’ll be looking at how to use oval makeup brushes. We’ll take you through the key pieces and how to apply your makeup with them correctly.
We talked about whether oval makeup brushes are better in a previous post. You may have a few questions to ask someone when it comes to how to use oval brush sets, and that’s okay! We’re going to help you more in this post.
We’ve mentioned that “toothbrush makeup brushes”, as some may call them, offer a great way for smoother overall makeup application and blend everything into a finished result that is almost professional. Unlike typical makeup brushes, the way these “spoon” brushes are structured enables the holder to work better on their own face.
We’ll talk about this in more detail today. So, without further ado, let’s get to the oval makeup brush tutorial!
How to Use Oval Makeup Brushes for Foundation and Base
You may find these brushes in your large black makeup bag and might be confused how they’re used. When you’re just beginning to use these “spoon brushes”, you might find they have a lot of great use, but you may feel uncomfortable with how to use them.
Every application is a little different, and that may make the process of learning the oval makeup brush set uses correctly a little uncomfortable.
Let’s start with the base layer of makeup and work up to the more precise applications (like eyeshadow).
What is the proper way to use oval makeup brushes for foundation and base?
Foundation Oval Makeup Brush
- First, place a little of your foundation on the back of your hand. Once you have a small amount (remember you can always add more if you need it), you will want to lightly dip your chosen brush into the liquid. If applying to your entire face, you can use a large brush. If however you’re only going to be using foundation on specific areas, you may want to go with a medium to small brush.
- You will want to begin in the center of your face at the T-zone and then work down from the forehead. The biggest trick is to make sure that you blend the foundation very well around the hairline area.
- When you get to your nose area, you will want to pull the oval makeup brush up the sides carefully.
- Once you have your forehead and nose areas done, move on to the rest of the face.
- Starting with small circular motions, start with the cheeks and then work to the chin. Remember less foundation on your chin and cheeks will look more natural.
- Now that the chin and cheeks are done, continue using the small circular motions along the jawline and down the neck. Take a second go over if need be to make sure that your foundation is blended well.
Still think it’s too complicated? Do you think this method isn’t for you? Don’t worry! You can always choose other brushes for liquid foundation.
Our Choice for Best Foundation Brush
Hi beautiful! Just to let you know, we earn a modest commission off of purchases made through Amazon affiliate links on this page. Don't worry, it's of no extra cost to you. We love the products we recommend in this post, and we hope you do, too!
Concealer Oval Makeup Brush
You can use a smaller brush if you want to add concealer after your foundation. However because this is also a base, bigger brushes can help you blend out your concealer more seamlessly. Smaller brushes are ideal for smaller spaces, and then blend them out with the larger brush!
- Following the same starting point as the foundation, place a dab of concealer on the back of your hand and lightly dip your small oval makeup brush into it.
- Once you have placed the concealer in the places that need it, you will want to blend it with short and small motions.
Our Choice for Best Concealer Brush
Powder Oval Makeup Brush
You can use this brush for setting your makeup or adding face powder.
- Choose a large flat brush.
- Sprinkle the powder onto the brush.
- In one motion, you will want to apply the powder to the entire face region carefully.
- Be careful of any spots where the powder might bunch up and blend accordingly.
Our Choice for Best Powder Brush
How to Use the Oval Makeup Brushes for Contour and Blush
Once you’ve laid the foundation and concealed any areas or blemishes you wanted hidden, you may want to do some highlighting and contouring to blend your look together. You may also wanna add a pop of lovely color to your cheeks to freshen up your look.
Blending Oval Makeup Brush
Though oval makeup brushes are not the most recommended tools for highlights, they still are very functional in the area of contouring.
Blending oval makeup brushes come in different sizes, so you can switch accordingly!
- Choose your bronzer and dip your chosen oval makeup brush into it. Exercise your usual caution with bronzer!
- Draw a line along your cheekbone starting at the hollow and move toward your hair. You can use small circular motions or one swift swipe to do this.
- Once done, do the same thing to the other cheek.
- Replenish the bronzer on your brush and next lay an arc of it just before your hairline starts.
- Repeat the small circular motion until thoroughly blended.
- Re-dip your brush into your bronzer and apply some with the same circular motions to just under the jawline. Once you have laid that in a sweeping motion, follow the line down your neck.
- Use what’s left on the brush and use it to contour your nose area. Dab and the glide the brush down each side of your nose.
Our Choice for Best Blending Brush
Blush Oval Brush
Next, you may want to add a little color to your cheeks with some blush.
- Find the place where your cheeks are the fullest.
- With a medium brush apply a small amount of blush.
- Use circular motions moving toward your hair blend the blush in.
Our Choice for Best Blush Brush
How to Use the Oval Makeup Brushes for Eye Makeup
Now that we’re done with the base and the larger areas of the face, let’s talk about applying Finally, you can use your oval brushes to build out your eyebrows and add a little character to your eyes.
Eyeshadow Oval Brushes
- Choose the smallest oval brush in your set.
- Take the brush and add a little of the eyeshadow to it.
- Carefully drag it along the lid up to the brow bone if using a light color.
- You can use a darker color to accentuate the lid area using the same method.
Our Choice for Best Eyeshadow Brush
Eyebrow Oval Brushes
Yep, you can certainly do your brows with these brushes too!
- Take the smallest, narrowest brush you have in the set.
- Take your eyebrow product. If you don’t have any on hand, you can use an eyeshadow that matches your hair color (ex. brown for brunettes, red for redheads).
- Brush the product through your eyebrow hair, following the contour of the brow itself.
Our Choice for Best Eyebrow Brush
Onward and oval!
Hopefully we’ve made you feel more comfortable with experimenting using oval brushes! With these tips you’ll be able to use them the right way. You’re well on your way to gorgeous makeup that will stun all your friends!