Hi beautiful! Just to let you know, we earn a modest commission off of purchases made through Amazon affiliate links on this page. Don't worry, it's of no extra cost to you. We love the products we recommend in this post, and we hope you do, too!
When you get your nails filled can you change the color?
Whether you’re new to acrylic nails or gel nails or a seasoned pro, you may be wondering whether it is possible to change the color when you get your nails filled. While you liked the color you picked out for your nails for your last manicure, you may be feeling it is time for a change.
Luckily, you definitely can change the color of your nails when you get them filled. Whether you’re planning to fill your nails yourself or plan on heading back to the salon, changing the color on acrylic nails is no big deal! You (or the nail artist at the salon) will just need to prep your nails for the color change before starting.
How to Change the Color of Filled Nails
Changing the color of your acrylic nails is easy. When you’re at the nail salon getting your nails filled, simply let your manicurist know that you’d also like to change the color.
Before the manicurist fills your nails, she’ll file them down to a more basic manicure. She’ll remove the existing nail color during this time. If you also want to change the length or shape of your nails, that is also possible during a filling; just ask the manicurist.
After your nails have been filed down and the old color is removed, the growth gap will be filled. Then, it will be time to put nail polish over the newly cleaned up manicure. Again, you can choose any color you’d like to finish up your new manicure. The only exception to this rule is if the acrylic nails you used were either glittery or dark. In this case, you’d have to stick with the same color. But, in most cases acrylic nails are clear, and you should have no problem changing the color.
Be aware that if you wait too long to get your nails filled, you may have to take the old acrylics off and start all over. If too much time passes before you get your nails filled, it can weaken your manicure and cause the acrylics to start breaking off. This can damage your natural nails.
Acrylic Nail Tips
Acrylic nails can transform the way our hands and nails look. If you’ve never had acrylic nails before or have had them many times, these tips can help you take care of your acrylic nails and the natural nails underneath:
- Be on the lookout for fungus: If you plan on filling your acrylic nails multiple times, your natural nail will remain covered for quite some time. In some cases, moisture can become trapped between your natural nail and the acrylic. This can allow nail fungus to grow. If you notice any discoloration or green spots, it could indicate fungus, and you should remove the nails right away and seek treatment to clear up the fungus.
- Be gentle with acrylic nails: Once your acrylic nails are applied, you want to be gentle with them to avoid damaging the acrylic nail, or worse your natural nail underneath it.
- Protect the skin around your nails: Be sure to keep the skin surrounding the acrylic nails healthy. Apply a moisturizer or hand cream every day. Look for redness or peeling around the nail that may indicate that there is an infection you need to address.
- Keep your hands clean: Personal hygiene is always important. With acrylic nails if the area around your nails is dirty, it can increase your risk of developing an infection. Keep the area beneath the nail tip clean as well. Running an alcohol swab of a Q-tip dipped in alcohol can help keep it as clean as possible.
- Give your nails a break: Finally, it is important to give your real nails a break from acrylics every few months. Take the fake nails off and give your real nails a few days to a few weeks to breathe before applying a new set.
How many times can you get your nails filled?
In theory acrylic nails can be filled multiple times before they’ll need to be replaced. However, to preserve the health of your natural nail, it is best to take them off every few months to allow the real nail to breathe.
How long do nail fills last?
Nail fills typically last for between two and three weeks, depending on the growth of your natural nails.
Can you get longer nails with a fill?
Yes, since your natural nails are growing out under the acrylics, your nails may become longer with a fill.
Should I get a fill or a new set?
If you haven’t already had your acrylic nails filled, you can extend their life by getting a fill. However, after about three or four fills, it will be time to take off your current set of acrylics and give you natural nails a little break before getting a new set again.
Changing the Color When You Get Your Nails Filled
Change is exciting, and it certainly wouldn’t be much fun if you had to stick with the same nail color when you get your gel or acrylic nails filled. Thankfully, getting the color changed when you fill your nails is quite easy, so you’ll be able to try out some fun new colors!
Check out these related posts on our blog to learn more about nail polish and nail care: