Hi beautiful! Just to let you know, we earn a modest commission off of purchases made through Amazon affiliate links on this page. Don't worry, it's of no extra cost to you. We love the products we recommend in this post, and we hope you do, too!
The Best Makeup and Tips for People with Rosacea
Rosacea, in and of itself, is a relatively complicated skin condition. One individual’s experience with rosacea may be entirely different from someone else. Symptoms vary from person to person – some individuals experience only minorly flushed skin. Others have swelling, irritation and breakouts as a result. It can be an occasional problem caused by a skin irritant for some. For others, it can be a constant battle to keep their skin from being noticeably red and irritated.
It’s important to remember that there are several different ways to treat and manage rosacea, both with and without makeup. How you choose to tackle this condition is up to you.
Most importantly, you’ll want to make sure you get a high-quality, full-coverage foundation. Alternatively, you can look for buildable foundations that allow you to cover red areas. You may even consider using an affordable CC or BB cream foundation to enhance your coverage and eliminate redness. Either way, you’ll want something that blends and creates a smooth, even-looking complexion.
These are our favorite products for covering breakouts, bumps and redness as a side effect of rosacea.
- Editor’s Pick: Dermablend Smooth Liquid Camo Foundation
- Best Liquid Foundation for Rosacea: Clinique Women’s Beyond Perfecting Foundation + Concealer
- Best Liquid Mineral Foundation for Rosacea: jane iredale Liquid Minerals A Foundation
- Best Mineral Powder Foundation for Rosacea: Cover FX Pressed Mineral Foundation
- Best Foundation for Acne-Prone Skin and Rosacea: Glo Skin Beauty Pressed Base
- Best Foundation for Rosacea and Dry Skin: Perricone MD No Makeup Foundation Serum
- Best Foundation for Oily Skin and Rosacea: Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation
- The Best Foundation for Rosacea and Combination Skin: Fifth & Skin Better’n Ur Skin Liquid Foundation
- Best Foundation for Rosacea and Large Pores: Juice Beauty Phyto-pigments Flawless Serum Foundation
- Best Foundation for Rosacea and Sensitive Skin: Oxygenetix Oxygenating Foundation
- Best Drugstore Foundation to Cover Rosacea: NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Can’t Stop Won’t Stop Full Coverage Foundation
- Best Dermatologist-Tested Foundation for Covering Rosacea: Clinique Redness Solutions Makeup Foundation
Best Foundation for Rosacea: Editor’s Pick
- Provides buildable coverage and 25SPF sunscreen
- Tested and approved by dermatologists
- Made with rosacea in mind
Hands down, plenty of people agree that this is the best foundation to cover rosacea.
The Dermablend Smooth Liquid Camo Foundation is a relatively affordable rosacea-friendly makeup that provides all-day coverage without irritating already sensitive skin. The formula, made with bumps and irritation in mind, works as a “camouflage” to create beautiful, clear and radiant skin.
Keep in mind that you’ll likely need to use a setting spray to avoid transfer with this foundation, however.
Best Foundation for Covering Rosacea by Foundation Type
Best Liquid Foundation for Rosacea
- Lightweight and breathable
- Perfect for all skin types
- Offers SPF protection to minimize sun damage
When it comes to liquid foundation for rosacea, Clinique takes the cake.
Clinique’s Beyond Perfecting Foundation + Concealer is lightweight while offering full coverage for all-day wear. This makeup for rosacea combines concealer and foundation, giving you smooth, even-toned skin. It’s capable of covering even the worst redness and irritation, making it perfect for those who struggle with rosacea’s most annoying side effects.
Best Liquid Mineral Foundation for Rosacea
- Includes hyaluronic acid and vitamin C to repair damaged and irritated skin
- Rejuvenates tired skin
- Dermatologist tested and recommended
One of our favorite things about this foundation is that it utilizes a variety of minerals and vitamins to help improve your skin’s overall condition.
The jane iredale Foundation is lightweight, easy to apply and lasts all day without further irritating the skin.
While it is not a full-coverage foundation, it helps reduce the effects of rosacea and soothe breakouts as they occur.
Best Mineral Powder Foundation for Rosacea
- Uses kaolin clay to reduce shine and increase pigmentation
- Talc-free, so it won’t dry or cake to the skin
- Uses phytosphingosine, a natural mineral that helps reduce redness and restore your skin’s natural barriers
If you are looking for a true matte finish powder, this is the best foundation for rosacea for you.
This foundation is highly buildable, feels weightless on the skin and won’t clog your pores. Because the mineral formula is highly pigmented, it helps even your color and smooth your complexion.
Naturally, there are tons of other options when it comes to powder foundations but this is one of our favorites, even if you’re on a budget.
Best Foundation by Skin Type to Cover Rosacea
Best Foundation for Acne-Prone Skin and Rosacea
- Features pressed mineral powder for easy application
- Corrects color over time
- Offers a semi-matte finish, perfect for that all-natural look
Using non-comedogenic ingredients, this foundation is suitable for almost every type of skin. Glo Skin Beauty Pressed Base is especially great for those with acne-prone skin. It won’t further irritate the skin or cause excessive drying. Plus, it provides a variety of antioxidants that help soothe and nourish the skin on your face. It’s buildable, meaning that with a few applications, you’ll have full coverage that leaves everyone saying “wow!”
Best Foundation for Rosacea and Dry Skin
- Helps smooth the look of imperfections.
- Includes SPF 20 sunscreen to help protect sensitive skin from damaging sun rays.
- Helps accomplish the sought-after “no makeup” look
While this is definitely one of the more expensive foundations on our list, there’s a good reason.
This foundation from Perricone MD is great for individuals with dry skin, often one of the more painful side effects of rosacea. It uses a variety of different vitamins and minerals, alongside a serum-like consistency, to provide all-day hydration and full coverage without feeling heavy.
Best Foundation for Oily Skin and Rosacea
- Made to help soothe and soften irritated skin
- Very lightweight but still provides buildable coverage
- Capable of correcting and evening skin tone by reducing redness over time
Tarte has a reputation for making high-quality products that offer full coverage for all-day wear. Their Amazonian Clay products offer a unique blend of clay, vitamins A, E and mineral pigments, each of which helps reduce the production of excess oil on the skin.
Plus, these vitamins and minerals reduce skin irritation while effectively hiding redness.
The Best Foundation for Rosacea and Combination Skin:
- Lightweight and made of organic ingredients to avoid upsetting skin.
- Provides natural protection against harmful UV rays.
- Lightweight and buildable to full coverage.
If you have combination skin, like many of us do, you’ll likely want a foundation that doesn’t irritate and dry the skin and doesn’t cause an excess buildup of oils.
We love this foundation from Fifth & Skin because it consists of a variety of natural ingredients to help keep your skin hydrated, happy, and healthy all day long. Plus, it’s super affordable, making it an excellent choice for a wide range of individuals.
The Best Foundations For Rosacea Based on Skin Condition
Best Foundation for Rosacea and Large Pores
- Uses organic ingredients to create a natural glow
- Won’t clog pores or cause caking
- Lightweight foundation that offers full coverage all day long
Large pores are often a side effect of rosacea that makes individuals insecure. However, there are products, such as this foundation by Juice Beauty, that help minimize pores and make your skin look absolutely flawless.
Plus, as we age, large pores tend to become more problematic. This foundation offers age-defying technology that helps smooth fine lines and wrinkles, making it perfect for those who want to achieve that young and care-free look.
Best Foundation for Rosacea and Sensitive Skin
- Uses 2% salicylic acid, which helps reduce irritation throughout the day
- Offers full coverage despite being lightweight and breathable
- Helps both treat and conceal acne, irritation and redness as a result of rosacea
People everywhere rave about this particular foundation, especially if you suffer from sensitive skin as a side effect of rosacea.
Oxygenetix Oxygenating Foundation provides full coverage without clogging your pores and irritating the skin. This foundation stays breathable throughout the day and covers even the worst redness and irritation. Plus, it helps even the skin tone and soothe irritation over time, giving you healthy, flawless skin.
Other Considerations for the Best Rosacea Covering Foundations
Best Drugstore Foundation to Cover Rosacea
- Dries matte for a natural looking finish
- Nyx is a cruelty-free brand, making it a great personal choice
- The foundation is waterproof, meaning it’ll last all day long, guaranteed
If you’re looking for an affordable, full coverage foundation that won’t irritate your skin, this is one of your best options. The foundation provides full coverage for red spots and acne without breaking the bank.
Best Dermatologist-Tested Foundation for Covering Rosacea
- Includes SPF 15 sunscreen to protect skin from harmful UV rays.
- Uses probiotic technology to reduce redness and inflammation as a result of rosacea and other skin conditions.
- Made to reduce flareups and create a smooth, natural complexion that remains breathable and calming all day long.
We’ve mentioned before that we think Clinique is great for individuals with rosacea, but this product is one of our top picks.
The Clinique Redness Solutions Foundation has been dermatologist-approved and allergy tested. This is to ensure your skin stays hydrated, that redness is reduced, and that the surface of your skin appears healthy without further irritation.
In fact, many individuals with rosacea recommend this foundation as part of their regular routine.
Tips and Tricks to Make Rosacea Less Noticeable
There are plenty of ways to make your rosacea less noticeable during an outbreak. Plus, there are plenty of products to help ease rosacea’s long-term effects and prevent further skin damage.
While makeup is one of the top ways people impacted by rosacea tend to minimize the effects of the condition, there are plenty of steps to take to keep your skin happy and healthy.
Use Moisturizer to Treat Rosacea and Prevent Outbreaks
Many individuals who have rosacea found that using a moisturizer designed to treat rosacea helps limit the duration of outbreaks and minimize skin damage. These moisturizers often contain probiotics and other healing vitamins and minerals to help even your skin tone and reduce redness and inflammation.
Understand What Triggers Your Rosacea
What triggers your rosacea will likely be different than what triggers someone else. However, understanding what causes a rosacea flareup and subsequently doing your best to avoid these triggers can help save your skin in the long run.
Many individuals find that if they keep a log of their skin condition throughout a three month period, they can often associate specific foods, products or other factors that cause their skin to become irritated.
Use Makeup and Skincare Products to Cover Side Effects
Of course, if you regularly wear makeup or simply find yourself feeling self-conscious about your rosacea’s effects on your skin, makeup is always a great option. There are plenty of makeup guides for rosacea to quickly and easily cover redness and irritation. You may have to search around, though, to find a method and products that work best for you.
The Rosacea Makeup Routine:
- Apply the primer of your choice.
- Use a green-based concealer to cover red areas and irritated skin.
- Use your favorite bb or cc cream to provide full coverage and hydration to the skin.
- Grab the foundation of your choice and build it to a level you’re comfortable with.
- Apply a powder or setting spray to keep the makeup in place throughout the day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is mineral makeup good for rosacea?
Mineral makeup has many benefits – and in most cases, it can be very beneficial for some rosacea sufferers. Because rosacea’s effects are relatively widespread, makeup that works for some individuals may not work for others. In general, though, mineral-based makeup often provides vitamins and nutrients that help reduce redness and hydrate the face, which can be very beneficial for most people with rosacea.
Can using makeup make rosacea worse?
Some individuals find that when they use makeup, they see an increase in their side effects and the number of outbreaks they experience. However, much like with any type of makeup, it is important to find the right product. Your skin will react differently to various chemicals and components in makeup, and it may take some trial and error to find a makeup routine that does not irritate your skin. Once you’ve started using the right products, though, makeup with added vitamins and minerals may actually help improve your rosacea over time.
What makeup can I use if I have rosacea?
There are many different side effects of rosacea. The type of makeup you can use will depend on the side effects you experience. Typically speaking, you’ll want to look for makeup that helps hide and eliminate redness, like the products listed above.
Some other great choices include the following:
- It Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Neutralizing Correcting Cream
- Thrive Causemetics Buildable Blur CC Cream™ Broad Spectrum SPF 35
- BECCA Ultimate Coverage Complexion Crème
Additionally, many individuals found that pregnancy safe makeup worked well alongside their rosacea. Often, this makeup is fragrance-free and does not irritate the skin. Plus, many of these makeup items feature all-natural ingredients. These ingredients can be especially beneficial for individuals who suffer from sensitive skin as a direct side effect of rosacea.
RELATED: Cream to powder foundation
How do you cover rosacea with foundation?
If you’re experiencing a rosacea outbreak, you’ll need to make sure you have a foundation tailored to your specific skincare needs. For instance, if your primary issue with rosacea is red and irritated skin, getting a redness-reducing foundation is vital. You might also want to invest in bb cream or a green concealer to eliminate “hot spots” on the skin.
Once you’ve got the products you need, it’s a matter of applying them and blending them correctly. Typically, a full coverage foundation will reduce redness and eliminate those hot spots. You’ll need to blend it out and may need to build it up, depending upon the severity of your flareup.
Best Foundation to Cover Rosacea: Cover without Aggravation
Rosacea can be a frustrating skin condition, for sure. However, it is more common than you think. Though flareups and outbreaks related directly to rosacea can make people feel self-conscious and insecure, there are plenty of ways to reduce the effects of the condition.
Whether you’re looking for an all-natural route, a simple coverup routine, or something in between, there are plenty of ways to handle flareups with confidence and ease.
The products listed above have been tried and tested by hundreds of individuals affected by rosacea. They understand the various needs of individuals with this complex skin condition and can testify to the effectiveness of each product.
Hopefully, you’ll find a product on this list that helps improve the appearance of your skin and reduce the long-term effects of flareups. No matter your budget, there are plenty of options to choose from!
Check out helpful posts on our blog: