There are days when we absolutely love a full-coverage foundation, but there are also times when we want to embrace the no-makeup makeup look. If not that, then at least something that is a little lighter and also a bit more casual. For such days, knowing how to use tinted moisturizers the right way will make absolute sense.
Tinted moisturizers are a more hydrating and translucent cousin of the foundation. They are perfect if you want a more casual sort of look. They are also significantly easier to work with, as they are sheerer, have a texture that is lightweight, come with SPF benefits, and are mostly portable as they come in a small tube.
Tinted moisturizer is not to be confused with BB cream (aka beauty balm), though!
So, if you want to take absolute advantage of your tinted moisturizer, read on to find out how you can apply it correctly.
Table of Contents
- What Is a Tinted Moisturizer?
- Foundations vs. Tinted Moisturizers
- How to Use Tinted Moisturizers?
- What is the best way to apply tinted moisturizer?
- Some FAQs on Tinted Moisturizers
- How to Apply Tinted Moisturizer: Best Way to Apply Tinted Moisturizer Foundation
What Is a Tinted Moisturizer?
A tinted moisturizer is exactly like what its name suggests.
This is just like your regular moisturizer, but it comes with a slight tint in it. This skin tint gives you a more even look. It’s also a light tint that could be compared to that of a sheer foundation.
These moisturizers contain humectants, anti-oxidants, along with a couple of other ingredients such as titanium dioxide and iron oxide. Much like other hydrating lotions meant for the face, a tinted moisturizer keeps your skin taken care of.
Foundations vs. Tinted Moisturizers
One of the major differences between a foundation and a tinted moisturizer is that the former contains about 14% to 15% titanium oxide. On the contrary, the tinted moisturizer contains only about 3% of it. This is the ingredient that is gives off the color onto our skin.
Typically, a foundation is used so that it can cover skin texture with a layer that makes it appear even and perfect. On the other hand, a tinted moisturizer works exactly like a good moisturizer. A tinted moisturizer hydrates the skin and at the same time can even out the complexion. Finding the right tinted moisturizer for you can give your skin a good, light base that you don’t need to supplement with a heavier foundation or creamy concealer.
How to Use Tinted Moisturizers?
Since these moisturizers are tinted, people tend to overcomplicate the process of applying it.
In reality, applying this moisturizer is quite simple.
Let us tell you how to do it below:
Begin by cleansing your face and then blotting it lightly with a towel. Take a dime-sized drop of your preferred moisturizer on your palm and rub it either with sunscreen (if it does not contain any SPF) or with some nourishing vitamins such as C and E into the damp skin. Wait for a couple of minutes for this to sink into your skin completely.
Take your concealer and dot in around the eyes, starting from the inner corner and heading outwards. You can do so by using a tiny brush or even a cotton swab. Once applied, pat it with your fingers to thoroughly blend it in.
Preferably choose a creamy tinted moisturizer which is about half a shade lighter than your skin tone so that you can avoid the raccoon look. You can do this for blemishes as well.
Take your tinted moisturizer and put it on a dry makeup sponge. This helps in spreading the tinted moisturizer more evenly.
Begin by dabbing it on to the center of the forehead and then blend upwards to the headline. Move down towards the bridge of the nose, then outwards to the cheeks and then towards the chin. Make sure you apply lightly around the jawbones too, and all the way to the upper part of the neck so that the color is uniform.
What is the best way to apply tinted moisturizer?
Here are some easy tips that will make you look even better when you use a tinted moisturizer.
- Lose the brush: You have the option not to use a makeup brush or a makeup wedge. Just apply the cream evenly on your face with the help of your fingertips. Then, take a small amount of the moisturizer and blend it from the center of the face and then outwards.
- Skip the powder: Some of you may be tempted to use a finishing powder, but we advise against it. The whole point of the tinted moisturizer is to look like you are not made up, so embrace that radiant finish.
- Cater to your skin’s needs: Tinted moisturizers tend to have a sheer formula. So, choose one on the basis of your skin type instead of your skin tone. If you are more prone to breakouts, then look for an oil-free formula. If you have drier skin along with dullness, then try an illuminating tinted moisturizer.
- Apply extra SPF: Just because your tinted moisturizer comes with SPF protection, it does not hurt to put some more. This is especially important if you are going to be in the sun for a very long time since the SPF in the moisturizer won’t be enough. Add another layer of a higher SPF protection over the moisturizer.
- Use more moisturizer: Just because you are using a tinted moisturizer, it does not mean you cannot use a regular moisturizer along with it. It is totally fine to do this, especially if you are the kind with very dry skin.
- Blend using your hands: Use the warmth of your hands to thoroughly blend in the tinted moisturizer. By doing so, you will end up boosting the glow of the skin. This is particularly great when you don’t have a brush or foundation with you.
- Apply concealer: If you will apply concealer, apply it after putting the tinted moisturizer. This helps in keeping the concealer stay put.
- Use a face mist: Looking for added radiance? Then give your skin a spritz of your favorite facial spray. In fact, you can also use it before and after the application of makeup. Spraying it before will help prep the skin and not let it over moisturize while spraying it after will help give the skin a softer and more radiant look.
- Look for non comedogenic ingredients: Since this doubles as a sheer foundation and a moisturizer, you’re going to want something that doesn’t irritate you, whether or not you have an acne prone skin type. Look at labels that say “oil free” or “water based”.
Some FAQs on Tinted Moisturizers
Where do you apply tinted moisturizer?
You use it for your face, but you can also apply it on your neck and ears! Just like where you apply foundation.
Do you put on primer or tinted moisturizer first?
You don’t really need a primer to apply tinted moisturizer. Usually when you apply primer, it’s on top of an already moisturized face, but due to the tint it’s advisable you apply primer first, should you want to use it.
Here’s more about why you should use primers! Check out our under eye primer reviews as well!
Can you use tinted moisturizer instead of foundation?
If you’re going for a sheer look that lets your skin peek through, and you’re not going to build up your makeup heavily, tinted moisturizers can be used instead of foundation. As long as you don’t expect the same performance and coverage, you should have a nice base set by your chosen tinted moisturizer.
Is tinted moisturizer good for combination skin?
Yes! One with the right ingredients for your skin combination could work wonders. If you have dry combination skin, you can rely on the extra moisturization boost you can get from this makeup.
Do you need setting spray for tinted moisturizer?
Most tinted moisturizers are meant to be worn on their own, so you don’t need to set it. Up to you, though!
How to Apply Tinted Moisturizer: Best Way to Apply Tinted Moisturizer Foundation
We hope that with this, you now know how to use tinted moisturizers the right way.
Tinted moisturizers are great for a no-makeup makeup look and glowing skin. So, make sure you thoroughly follow our instructions and tips to achieve that flawless look! Don’t forget to put your favorite in your black makeup case!
If you’re still wondering whether tinted moisturizer is right for you, check out our article: Tinted Moisturizer vs BB Cream.
Check out these posts on the blog:
How much do you love tinted moisturizers? Let us know below!