The beauty industry continues to grow massively with each and every passing year. People are now, more than ever, investing in their appearance. Makeup is among the most important solutions to looking good and, consequently, feeling good.
(Not to forget that while makeup may be used to accent certain beauty traits or hide imperfections here and there, the best way to ensure a beautiful face is to lead a healthy lifestyle. A proper sleep routine, a well-balanced diet, and regular exercise are most important!)
But back to talking about makeup. When it comes to beauty, there are hundreds and thousands of different products for different areas of your face – including lip products, eyeliner, mascara, powders, balms, and a bunch of others.
We all know how putting makeup on can take quite a while, but sometimes we end up spending more time on application than is actually necessary. Wanna know why that is? Because in most cases, we don’t have the right tools.
A very popular option for applying makeup is the makeup sponge. Makeup sponges are used for application a variety of products, from base to blush. Now, while beauty blenders have been the go-to solution and an essential of almost any makeup kit for quite a while now, there’s one product that has revolutionized the way we see makeup sponges.
We’re talking about silicone makeup sponges, or siliponges.
But are these “jelly beauty blenders” or “clear beauty sponges” better than the usual tools like ordinary sponges or brushes? How does one use a silicone makeup sponge in the first place?
Let’s go ahead and take a look.
Table of Contents
- What Are Silicone Makeup Sponges?
- Are Silicone Sponges Better Than Beauty Blenders?
- Apply foundation with a sponge made of silicone
What Are Silicone Makeup Sponges?
Do silicone sponges work? Absolutely.
What’s more fascinating about this product is the way it has affected the makeup industry in such a short time.
They came out a few years ago, and very soon after their release, numerous makeup brands had picked up on the trend, with there being an array of advantages compared to the traditional beauty blenders or makeup blenders.
A few months after they came out, the so-called siliponges became the new “it” thing, as makeup enthusiasts all over the world began to use these as the perfect beauty blender alternative.
Putting the traditional beauty blender aside, one of the pulls of the silisponges is that they are more hygienic and healthy for your face.
The main benefits that come with using a makeup sponge that is made out of silicone are that these are antibacterial and non-porous. What does that mean? It means that your skin will not pick up any dirt or bacteria from the sponge or the makeup, which would otherwise happen with traditional sponges or a beauty blender. Comparing a silicone foundation sponge to foam, these are “cleaner” to use. They also provide good results without you having to replace them frequently.
The Siliquinn Silicone Makeup Blender Sponge seems like the best option out there, as it’s affordable, durable, and easy to use for application. On top of all that, it comes in a plastic pouch, which is critical if you don’t want your sponge to get damaged, or if you want to carry it wherever you go.
Are Silicone Sponges Better Than Beauty Blenders?
Well, this is a tough question.
Both the traditional beauty blenders and the silisponges do have their advantages. In order to come to an answer, we need delve into more detail.
As you might have worked out by now, silicone sponges are more hypoallergenic and they don’t absorb your makeup. This means that more makeup will end up on your skin, instead of staying on the sponge, so you use less product.
Also, these are easy to clean. They only need a good washing with warm water and any regular soap you use in your bathroom.
Using a silisponge to apply makeup is quite simple. As you usually apply with a spreading motion, it’s perfect for liquid products (much like brushes for liquid foundation).
You can’t use silicone makeup sponges for powder foundations and other loose makeup products, though.
Another pro on the side of silicone blending sponges is, for just a few dollars, you can get a sponge that will last you for a few months.
On the other hand, the Beautyblender is made out of sponge-like material. It claims to be eco-friendly and antimicrobial.
Now, while the Beautyblender has plenty of pros and a whole cult following to back it, it does have its downsides too.
Firstly, it is less durable. Because it’s made of a porous, sponge-like material, it will disintegrate more easily than silicone sponges do. You’ll need to replace them more often, and they don’t exactly cost cheap.
You also need to be careful to clean your beauty sponge often, otherwise you can end up with a moldy beauty blender.
It can be harder to use for application, too, if you aren’t used to this type of tool. It requires time and patience to blend your base with this, even if the results are great. It’s also much pricier, with an average one being more than double the cost of a silicone makeup sponge.
Seeing as the Beautyblender is a sponge, it will also absorb more product, which means you will be using more of your makeup.
What this means is that for an average user, a silicone sponge is a great makeup sponge alternative; it’s healthy for the skin, easy to clean, and (while it is not ideal for the environment since it’s made of synthetic rubber and synthetic plastic polymer), one can last you for years.
Apply foundation with a sponge made of silicone
But how do you use a silicone makeup applicator?
There are a few key tips and tricks that will allow you to get the most out of a silicone makeup sponge.
- As we mentioned above, unlike with a regular sponge or beauty blender, you will be using a spreading motion instead of a patting one. This achieves optimal results while using less makeup.
- The first tip is related to allowing your skin to absorb any kind of skincare product before you go ahead and put on the makeup. Why? Because unless you want to end up with dry skin and smeared makeup, you should give your skin 10-15 minutes to absorb your moisturizer. Then you can grab the silicone sponge and carefully build up your base.
- As we said, these sponges won’t absorb makeup, so you will not need to use as much. In fact, there’s that old saying that less is more, which seems to certainly apply here. You’ll find yourself using around 1/4 of the amount of product that you typically use with a beauty blender, and still achieving great results. Why do you need to take note of this? Because too much makeup will not blend very well. You may end up throwing away the silicone sponge while it is not at fault. So, a word of caution. It’s important to remember this when using cream products, such as cream to powder foundation.
- Be sure to test using it for yourself first.
- Another tip: Instead of adding foundation to your skin and then rubbing it around with your silicone sponge, we recommend that you put a small amount on the silisponge first, squeeze it, and then apply to your face in a circular motion.
Talking about the beauty industry, one of the most common questions is how to use silicone makeup sponges.
Bearing this in mind, we did our best in highlighting the pros and cons of this product, and giving you tips and tricks on how to get the most out of it with the least effort.
The silicone makeup sponge is a reliable and affordable product that is sure to stay in the market for quite some time. What do you think? Are silicone makeup sponges here due to hype, or will they last?
What about you? Do you know how to use silicone makeup sponges? Do you love or hate them? Share with us your thoughts!