Looking for the safest antiperspirant that actually works can be a little challenging. On the one hand, you want to make sure that you won’t feel sweaty or smelly at the end of a long day. On the other hand, you’re always looking for a non-toxic antiperspirant that won’t affect your health in any negative way. In this article, we’ll debug the myths of deodorants and antiperspirants, and help you find safe antiperspirant brands that you can use every single day.
Table of Contents
- Antiperspirant vs. Deodorant: What’s the Difference?
- Which is Healthier: Deodorant or Antiperspirant?
- Do we really Need Antiperspirant and Deodorant?
- What’s Bad About Antiperspirants?
- Are there Safe Antiperspirants?
- What is the Healthiest Antiperspirant?
- What is the Best Aluminum-Free Antiperspirant?
- What is the Best Natural Antiperspirant?
- What is the Best Natural Antiperspirant for Excessive Sweating?
- What is the Best Natural Antiperspirant and Deodorant?
- What is the Best Natural Antiperspirant Spray?
- What is the Best Organic Antiperspirant?
- What is the Best Chemical-Free Antiperspirant?
- What is the Best Non-Toxic Antiperspirant?
- What is the Best Safe Antiperspirant Deodorant?
- Tips for Armpit Sweating
- FAQs About Armpit Health
- Summary: Safest Antiperspirant
Antiperspirant vs. Deodorant: What’s the Difference?
Of course, you want to smell fresh, just like you just got out of the shower. Unfortunately, at the end of a busy day and with lots of activities, you will start to sweat and feel a little uncomfortable. Although you’ve taken a shower in the morning, the smell will start to bother you -and perhaps other people- after a few hours.
Adding an antiperspirant or a deodorant to your daily routine would be the right answer.
But what is the difference between both of them?
A deodorant controls the odor of your sweat by increasing the acidity of the skin, so the odor-causing bacteria won’t be able to strive. Your armpits would still get sweaty, but you won’t stink.
An antiperspirant controls the amount of sweat produced as well as the odor. It protects you from underarm wetness, so you can always feel fresh and clean.
Which is Healthier: Deodorant or Antiperspirant?
The difference between a deodorant and antiperspirant lies in the way each one works. Both of them are perfectly safe to use, as long as you’re using them in moderation, and following the application instructions.
A deodorant contains perfume to mask the odor. If you have very sensitive skin, you might have an allergic reaction.
An antiperspirant contains aluminum, which is the active ingredient that controls the production of sweat. There’s some research that tries to link the use of aluminum to breast cancer, but only a tiny amount is absorbed by the body, so it’s unlikely to cause breast cancer.
It’s recommended that you don’t use an antiperspirant all the time, as it tends to block the sweat glands. Remember that sweat contains salts and toxins that need to leave your body.
Do we really Need Antiperspirant and Deodorant?
Only if you’re sweating excessively.
If you live in a dry or cold climate, or naturally don’t produce a lot of sweat, a deodorant would be enough to keep you fresh.
What’s Bad About Antiperspirants?
Antiperspirants contain aluminum compounds to control the production of sweat.
Here are some risks associated with using antiperspirants in the long term.
- Blocking the sweat glands retains some of the toxic compounds that should be leaving your body.
- Antiperspirants contain perfume to mask the odor, so they can cause allergies.
- Although there’s a tiny amount of aluminum that gets absorbed by the body, some medical researchers advise against using antiperspirants, especially if you’re at high cancer risk.
Are there Safe Antiperspirants?
There are natural-based antiperspirants that don’t contain nasty chemicals and would still keep your fresh. These products contain other natural and organic ingredients that control the production of sweat.
RELATED: Non-Toxic Drugstore Foundations
What is the Healthiest Antiperspirant?
[sf_button colour=”accent” type=”standard” size=”standard” link=”https://click.linksynergy.com/link?id=aesi2LmITvk&offerid=695404.14604625758&type=2&murl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lovelyskin.com%2Fo%2Fdr-hauschka-sage-deodorant%3Fref%3Dgbase” target=”_blank” icon=”” dropshadow=”no” rounded=”no” extraclass=””]Buy on LovelySkin[/sf_button]
The Dr. Hauschka Sage Mint Deodorant is a safe antiperspirant that works as it combines several natural ingredients to manage odor.
The formula contains witch hazel and sage extracts to absorb the odor and keep you fresh. With a subtle citrus smell, this deodorant will keep you smelling fresh all day.
Witch hazel and sage are suitable for delicate and sensitive skin. The deodorant uses zinc ricinoleate to control the odor without clogging the pores.
Users recommend this product for people with sensitive skin, so it can be used right after shaving. It doesn’t sting and can be safely worn every day.
What is the Best Aluminum-Free Antiperspirant?
[sf_button colour=”accent” type=”standard” size=”standard” link=”https://click.linksynergy.com/link?id=aesi2LmITvk&offerid=695404.14604728698&type=2&murl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lovelyskin.com%2Fo%2Fvichy-deodorant-24hr-roll-on-dry-touch%3Fref%3Dgbase” target=”_blank” icon=”” dropshadow=”no” rounded=”no” extraclass=””]Buy on LovelySkin[/sf_button]
If you’re concerned about the usage of aluminum and other chemicals absorbed by your body, you can give the Vichy 24 Hour Dry Touch Deodorant a try.
This safe antiperspirant deodorant gives a fresh residue-free finish and is tested by dermatologists, so it can be used on sensitive skin.
The formula contains perlite, a mineral that absorbs moisture and keeps you feeling dry till the end of the day. The zinc gluconate controls the odor, so you will not feel stinky even after spending hours doing chores or working in your office.
This product is designed to keep you feeling fresh for up to 24 hours.
However, you might need a heavier application if you tend to sweat a lot, especially if the weather is too hot or too humid.
What is the Best Natural Antiperspirant?
The M3 Naturals All Natural Deodorant is a safe antiperspirant because it’s 100% chemical-free. The formula is made using natural coconut oil, green tea, aloe, and magnesium, in addition to a wide selection of essential oils that retain the balance of the skin and control body odor.
This product is 100% free of aluminum, baking soda, and parabens. It’s vegan and suitable for men and women. If you have sensitive skin or have just shaved, this product will work for you because it doesn’t contain any alcohol or perfumes. All the ingredients are EWG safe.
Thanks to its subtle smell, you can wear it all day long without feeling irritated or uncomfortable. You don’t have to reapply throughout the day because the formula is quite potent.
It’s one of the best natural antiperspirants.
What is the Best Natural Antiperspirant for Excessive Sweating?
Excessive sweating can be really embarrassing. The Arrid XX Maximum Strength Solid Antiperspirant Deodorant is an excellent choice for excessive sweating because it’s designed to keep you dry for up to 48 hours.
It has a smooth moisturizing feel, so it won’t dry your skin while protecting you from excessive sweating, regardless of the weather. The long-lasting formula contains aluminum zirconium and a fresh fragrance that keeps you feeling confident all day long.
People who don’t like overpowering smells will feel comfortable using this product. You don’t have to reapply it often, and it won’t irritate your skin. It’s recommended by dermatologists because it won’t clog your pores.
What is the Best Natural Antiperspirant and Deodorant?
The Vanicream Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant combines the features of the deodorant and antiperspirant in a single product. It’s free from all the other irritants that can be found in other products like masking fragrances, lanolin, parabens, formaldehyde, and other preservatives. It’s also gluten and ethanol-free.
When you use this product, you will feel fresh and dry because it has a smooth dry finish. It offers 24 hours of continuous protection and is recommended by dermatologists.
Some users recommend this product for pregnant ladies because it doesn’t have a strong irritating smell. It’s suitable for sensitive skin.
What is the Best Natural Antiperspirant Spray?
If you’re looking for a nice spray to keep your fresh, you should try the Natural Crystal Deodorant Spray by SweatBlock. This hypoallergenic spray provides 24-hour protection from odor, so you can feel clean and fresh all day long.
The formula doesn’t contain aluminum chloride and is paraben-free. It applies smoothly with no residue, so it won’t stain your clothes. Natural mineral salts protect your skin and neutralize the body odor without being overpowering. It can be used by men and women.
People love using this product on feet and other parts of the body where the odor might be a problem. It has a water-like texture and needs to be fully dry before putting on your clothes. You can reapply it during the day if you’re planning to work out.
What is the Best Organic Antiperspirant?
The Native Deodorant is a natural and chemical-free antiperspirant for men and women. It’s EWG recommended and doesn’t contain aluminum, parabens, sulfates, or talc, so it’s an excellent choice for people with sensitive skin.
The formula protects you from wetness and contains natural ingredients like baking soda, beeswax, and tapioca starch that neutralize the PH level of the skin to prevent the growth of the odor-causing bacteria. It applies smoothly and won’t stain your clothes.
The lavender and rose smell is subtle, so it’s not overpowering or irritating. The eucalyptus and the mint fragrance is a bit stronger and more suitable for men. You shouldn’t apply too much as it might end up feeling gritty or chalky. Apply a thin layer and add more throughout the day if needed.
What is the Best Chemical-Free Antiperspirant?
The Almay Clear Gel Antiperspirant Deodorant for Women is hypoallergenic and suitable for people with sensitive skin because it’s alcohol and fragrance-free. This gentle product provides all-day protection from odor and wetness without any harsh chemicals that can irritate your underarms.
This formula is tested by dermatologists and contains no fragrances. The gel texture applies smoothly without staining your clothes. It also protects you from rashes.
You will have to wait after applying this product because it takes a while to dry, or it will feel sticky. Reapplication is necessary if you work out during the day.
What is the Best Non-Toxic Antiperspirant?
The Baxter of California Deodorant is a non-toxic antiperspirant for men that contains no aluminum or alcohol. The clear solid is suitable for all types of skin, especially rash-prone or sensitive skin.
It applies smoothly and dries fast without staining your clothes. With natural ingredients like tea tree oil and plant-derived glycerin, this product will nourish the skin and prevent dryness and eczema.
If you’re a heavy sweater, you might need to reapply this product throughout the day. It has a subtle smell, so it won’t make you feel irritated.
What is the Best Safe Antiperspirant Deodorant?
The Ban Antiperspirant Deodorant is EWG recommended, as it’s designed to provide 24-hour protection against body odor without any dangerous ingredients that might irritate your skin. It protects you from wetness and keeps you dry, thanks to the potent gentle formula. It also targets and breaks the bacteria that cause the body odor, so you will feel fresh all day long.
Because this formula is unscented, it’s an excellent choice for sensitive skin because it doesn’t contain any irritating fragrances. The scent won’t compete with your perfume or feel overpowering, so it’s a suitable choice for men and women. The formula contains aluminum zirconium, which significantly reduces perspiration to keep you feeling dry until the end of the day.
It applies smoothly and doesn’t leave a residue after application, so it won’t stain your clothes. Users report that it’s an excellent choice for outdoor activities, where the flowery smell might attract bugs.
Tips for Armpit Sweating
Excessive sweating is really embarrassing, especially at work or in school. The problem is that when you’re conscious about this problem, you’re likely to get stressed about it. Eventually, this will cause you to sweat even more.
It’s natural to sweat. However, some people tend to produce more sweat than others. There are some tips that can help you keep your armpits smelling fresh all day long.
- Always take a shower in the morning. Antiperspirants and deodorants work best when your skin is already clean and dry. Taking a shower will get rid of all the bacteria that accumulated on your skin during the night, so you can feel clean and fresh in the morning.
- Wait after taking a shower and before getting dressed, especially if you live in a hot climate. This will allow your body to cool down after taking a hot shower, so you can apply your antiperspirant or deodorant to clean and fresh skin.
- Shave your armpits. The hair traps the moisture and can make the smell linger, even with the application of a potent deodorant or antiperspirant. Applying the product to clean shaved skin will guarantee a better result.
Diet Changes for Armpit Sweat
Peppers and chilis contain capsaicin, which increases the internal temperature of your body, so you’re going to produce more sweat to cool off. Simple carbs, salty foods, sugar, and liquor will also increase the amount of sweat produced by your body.
Garlic, onion, and curry change the way your sweat smells and can make it smell more powerful or worse if you’re not using a proper deodorant or antiperspirant. It might be a good idea to avoid these types of food if you suffer from excessive sweating.
- Avoid sweat-causing food. There are certain types of foods that can make your body produce more sweat, or can make your sweat smell worse.
- Staying hydrated will keep your body smelling fresh. Sweat is made up of water and toxins that need to leave your body. By drinking more water, you’re making your body odor less noticeable. You can also increase your daily intake of sweat-reducing food types like green tea, almonds, and bananas.
FAQs About Armpit Health
How Can I Stop my Armpits from Sweating Naturally?
Excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis is quite common. You can control it using the following techniques.
- Practice relaxation techniques. Most people tend to sweat more when they’re stressed or anxious. Keep your mind and body in a relaxed state to help with excessive sweating.
- Regulate your caffeine intake. It affects the nerves around the blood vessels and will cause you to sweat more than you should.
- Use some natural astringents that can control the production of sweat. These include sage, mint, witch hazel, and chamomile. Most natural-based deodorants and antiperspirants contain these ingredients.
Why Do My Armpits Sweat So Much?
Some people have overly active sweat glands, a condition known as hyperhidrosis. Acupuncture and Botox injections can help in this case. They regulate the production of sweat from the sweat glands, so you can feel more confident.
How Do I Stop My Armpits from Sweating?
There’s no way you can prevent your armpits from sweating. However, you can reduce the amount of sweat by eating the right food, wearing the right clothes, and using suitable products.
- Always make sure that you hydrate your body well. This can control the amount and odor of sweat.
- Avoid spicy food that can make your body feel hot.
- Wear breathable clothes that allow the moisture to evaporate as this will reduce body odor.
- Quit smoking because the nicotine you consume increases your internal temperature and causes you to sweat more.
What Home Remedy Can I Use for Sweaty Armpits?
There are several home remedies that help you manage sweaty armpits.
- Apply diluted natural white or apple cider vinegar to your armpits. This disrupts the medium needed for the odor-causing bacteria, so it can reduce body odor.
- Drinking tomato juice can also control sweating.
- Cut a potato and rub a slice on your armpits. It reduces sweat production and lightens the skin.
- Soak a cotton ball in witch hazel and rub it on your armpits.
- Drink wheatgrass juice every day. It’s rich in antioxidants and will help control the production of sweat.
Why Do My Armpits Sweat So Much Even with Antiperspirant?
Some people have overly active sweat glands, so they will produce more sweat. If this is the case, you can try a potent antiperspirant to help control the production of sweat. If you feel that you’re still suffering from this problem, you can see a doctor to suggest a better solution.
Summary: Safest Antiperspirant
Sweating is natural but can be quite embarrassing. Taking a shower every day and using a potent deodorant will help you get rid of the annoying body odor. In some cases, you might need to use an antiperspirant to control the production of sweat and keep your armpits dry.
There are several types of antiperspirants on the market. Some of them contain aluminum, which regulates the production of sweat and keeps you feeling fresh all day long. However, if you’re worried about using aluminum, you can try some of the other options in our article to keep your arms nice and fresh.
Related Posts on Our Blog:
- Is hand sanitizer toxic if eaten
- Pregnancy Safe Makeup Brands
- Lipstick Ingredients to Avoid
- Best Sulfate Free Purple Shampoo for Gorgeous Platinum Blonde Hair
- Is Charcoal Good for Skin
- Is Wish Makeup Safe
What are your picks for safest antiperspirant brands? What’s your favorite?