Combination skin is one of the trickiest types of skin you need to take care of. Fact is that some parts are oily, others either normal or dry. Because of this, choosing the best drugstore face mask for combination skin is extremely important, but not exactly straightforward. A good quality mask will absorb excess oil, without excessively drying out the rest of the skin, nourishing all areas in equal measure.
Table of Contents
- Benefits of Face Masks
- How to Determine if You Have Combination Skin
- Top 5 Best Drugstore Face Masks for Combination Skin
- Best Drugstore Face Mask for Oily Dry Skin: Giovanni Purifying Facial Mask
- Best Drugstore Mask for Acne: L’Oréal Paris Pure-Clay Clear & Comfort Face Mask
- Best Drugstore Face Mask for Textured Skin: Green Tea Matcha Mud Mask
- Best Drugstore Foundation Mask Overall: Eminence Hungarian Herbal Mud Treatment
- Best Drugstore Face Mask for Acne: Dead Sea Mud Mask
- Our Top Pick for Best Drugstore Face Mask
- Best Drugstore Face Masks for Combination Skin: A Summary
Benefits of Face Masks
Some of the benefits of using a drugstore face mask for combination skin include:
- Refining skin pores, cleaning them in-depth and eliminating metabolic waste and other particles that can clog them
- Hydrates and nourishes the skin
- Diminish aging signs, including fine lines, wrinkles and brown spots
- Even the skin tone, diminishing hyperpigmentation
- Firm the skin by enhancing collagen production
How to Determine if You Have Combination Skin
The main types of skin are dry, oily, and sensitive.
However, sometimes people have a combination of these – the most popular combination being oily skin with dry areas, especially around the cheeks. Some will also experience dry and sensitive, or oily and sensitive.
Combination skin is often affected by seasonal changes and hormonal fluctuations.
Here are the main signs that you have combination skin:
- You have dry cheeks, but oily forehead and the area down the nose to the chin (the T-zone)
- Skin is dry during cold months and oily during hot months
- During your period, the skin is oily, and you have breakouts; once your period is over, the skin becomes flaky and dry
More problems than just combination skin? Check out our post on Best Enzyme Masks for Acne-Prone Skin.
Top 5 Best Drugstore Face Masks for Combination Skin
- Giovanni Purifying Facial Mask
- L’Oréal Paris Pure-Clay Clear & Comfort Face Mask
- Green Tea Matcha Mud Mask
- Eminence Hungarian Herbal Mud Treatment
- Dead Sea Mud Mask
Best Drugstore Face Mask for Oily Dry Skin: Giovanni Purifying Facial Mask
This purifying facial mask is ideal for people with combination skin. It contains activated charcoal, volcanic ash, acai and goji berries, vitamin E, and aloe vera. The volcanic ash dries out the excessive oil and brightens the skin.
At the same time, the activated charcoal bring all the impurities to the surface. Vitamin E and aloe vera then soothe and deeply hydrate the skin.
It is ideal for oily and dry skin. This is a good drugstore face mask to use.
- Gentle yet deeply cleansing
- Absorbs debris and has mild exfoliating properties
- Hypoallergenic cleanser
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- If the skin is more dry than oily, it can make the skin drier, so best used on oily areas and thinner layers on dry parts
Best Drugstore Mask for Acne: L’Oréal Paris Pure-Clay Clear & Comfort Face Mask
This mask is ideal for oily/dry combination skin. It reduces oil, fights acne, and soothes redness. It contains a blend of nourishing and detoxifying ingredients, combining three types of clay: montmorillonite, Moroccan lava, and kaolin.
They draw out dirt that clogs the pores, leaving the skin cleaner and clearer.
In order to prevent excessive dryness, L’Oréal added glycerin and seaweed, which hydrate the skin, making it soft and smooth.
- Combination of three types of mud
- Ideal for redness
- Large jar with 10 uses
- Hydrating and nourishing
- Gentle, ideal for dry skin
- No exfoliation properties
Best Drugstore Face Mask for Textured Skin: Green Tea Matcha Mud Mask
This is a spa-quality mask with mud that reduces pores and absorbs excess oil. It contains a green tree extract that removes the dead skin cells, toxins, and dirt, leaving the skin glowing and brighter than before.
It is known to stimulate blood circulation, which refines the texture of the skin.
- Diminishes pores
- Evens the skin tone
- Fights against aging
- Stimulates blood circulation
- Mild exfoliation
- May irritate skin
Speaking for textured skin, check out our best foundations for textured skin post.
Best Drugstore Foundation Mask Overall: Eminence Hungarian Herbal Mud Treatment
The Eminence Herbal Mud Treatment is a popular face mask for all types of skin, not only combination. It increases blood circulation, detoxifies the skin, and removes all the dirt and debris. This mask leaves the skin soft, supple, and bright.
It contains natural ingredients, including natural antioxidants, cinnamon with its antibacterial properties, paprika, and sage. The thermal mud rich in sulfur offer nourishment to the skin.
Another very good drugstore face mask to use if you want to try.
- Absorbs excess oil
- Clears acne
- Nourishes the skin
- Revitalizes the skin
- Causes a slight burning sensation when used for sensitive skin
Best Drugstore Face Mask for Acne: Dead Sea Mud Mask
If you have combination skin struggling with acne, this Dead Sea Mud Mask is what you need. It is infused with minerals, gentle enough to be applied on sensitive skin. It has a mild scent due to the blend of aloe vera and chamomile extract.
When applied on dry patches, jojoba oil and sunflower seed oil nourish the skin, leaving it glowing and supple.
- Contains hydrating ingredients
- Mild, pleasant smell
- Infused with minerals
- Ideal for sensitive skin
- Might cause itchiness
Our Top Pick for Best Drugstore Face Mask
We have to say our favorite is the Dead Sea Mud Mask.
Whether you have dry/oily skin or a combination of dry/sensitive and oily, this mask will definitely improve the appearance and the health of your skin.
In the beginning, it offers a slight soothing feeling, followed by an overall lovely experience.
Dead Sea salt and all the minerals of this mask are recommended not only for combination skin but for all types of skin.
Best Drugstore Face Masks for Combination Skin: A Summary
Overall, face masks are a great help in fighting against acne, aging, and maintaining healthy skin. Whether it is hot summer or cold winter, our skin needs to be nourished and pampered. Face masks do just that, leaving our skin healthier, younger, and helping to eliminate brown spots, fine lines, breakouts, and many more.
Face masks are cost-effective, and they offer high value for money. They are ideal for combination skin, especially since this type is often the most troublesome. Face masks for combination skin provide the correct mix of nutrients and other ingredients to clear clogged pores and eliminate acne, and also nourish and hydrate dry skin, especially around the cheeks.
The bottom line, it might be tough, but not impossible to find the best drugstore face mask for combination skin. We are confident that you now have all the information you need to choose the best mask for your face, keep your skin healthy, smooth, and supple, and all at an affordable price.
Check out more from our drugstore series:
- Non Toxic Drugstore Foundation
- Best Drugstore Hand Cream with SPF
- Best Drugstore Face Mask for Combination Skin
- Pregnancy Safe Drugstore Makeup
- Best Drugstore CC Foundations
- Face Wash for Sensitive Oily Skin
What are some of your favorite drugstore face masks for your skin type?
Many people are confused on how often to use a face mask, but in general you should mask 1-3 times per week.
Cheers for sharing your DIY ingredients, Yuen! We hope the mud mask works for you!
My skin is so sensitive, it’s hard to find a mask that doesn’t break me out. I’ve actually resorted to making my own with clay and seaweed, and it’s not too bad. But that Dead Sea Mud Mask looks like something my skin might like. Might just give it a try!
Hope you love them as much as we do!
Masks give the skin such a great boost!
I admit that I should be using more face masks but combination skin makes it somewhat of a problem. I decided that I will look for one of your recommendations and give it a try again.
Such a helpful post- and it reminds me to mask more!
Le Stylo Rouge
Thanks so much for sharing your face mask preferences with us, Sophie!
My skin is dry and sensitive but I do sometimes get oily on my period! I quite like mud/ clays masks still, but I usually have to double mask and use a hydrating one afterward. I like the sound of the green tea one! x
Comments are closed.